Who is putting some miles on their DB?

Guest oldodgeboys

Guest oldodgeboys

Ok, I have my '25 DB roadster up to about 25 miles per week average. When the car is up and running I do almost 40 miles per week.

How many miles are people driving their DB?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Cozza</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Big Mark: I'll look forward to meeting you in Keizer OR.

Keizer: Nice to put a face with a name.

Do I own you some pictures? </div></div>

Yep!

• 3 weeks later...

I weekend drive mine for about 20-30 miles every other week. It has some modifications to make it more road worthy like an electric fuel pump though. What is this about a meet in Keiser, OR?

nearchocolatetown, I may join the Dodge Club, but I'd go broke if I had to join a club for every make of car my dad and I have collected. wink.gif

I personally have the '29 Da, '37 Dodge truck, '37 Plymouth truck.

Dad is another story. '27 Ford two door sedan, '34 Plymouth PE coupe, '35 Plymouth coupe, '38 Plymouth truck, '48 Plymouth deluxe sedan, '39 Willys sedan, some kinda of brass 'T' in pieces, and a '36 Packard 120. Can you believe he's cut back on projects?

Out of all those, the '29 is a registered driver, the '48 Plymouth and the '39 Willys are drivable but need paint and interior, and I just got the '36 Packard to drive under it's own power last Monday. The Packard hasn't run in 12 or so years according to the previous owners.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest imouttahere

I've got my '22 touring running fairly well at the moment, and have been driving it around town. I'm trying to work up the courage to drive it farther away, and over hill and dale. The problem is, if it conks out, tow trucks are EXPENSIVE these days! I'd probably have to hitchhike home and come back to get the DB with another car and a tow dolly. It would definitely ruin my day if that happened!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: imouttahere</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got my '22 touring running fairly well at the moment, and have been driving it around town. I'm trying to work up the courage to drive it farther away, and over hill and dale. The problem is, if it conks out, tow trucks are EXPENSIVE these days! I'd probably have to hitchhike home and come back to get the DB with another car and a tow dolly. It would definitely ruin my day if that happened!</div></div>

Ahhh....c'mon....be brave! What I would do is to have a good friend with a cell phone follow you on an endurance run. Go for a long drive and just check it out. See if you feel brave enough to drive long distances. If all goes well, you are in business. It's great to be assured that you will make it home on your own, but part of the mystique of old cars is not knowing what will happen next.

I've got a question kinda related to this. What kind of top speeds are you guys getting from your cars? I know first gear is real low on these things, second is a little better, and third is all right but when I think that I'm winding the motor about mid RPM in third everyone says Im doing around 40 MPH. Any '29 da owners got input on this?

Thanks

If you join the auto club you can get towed home for free.

Cruising speed of a typical 4 cylinder 20s car would be up to 30 - 40 MPH but 20 - 30 more typical. Some sport models such as Stutz Bearcat were faster, like up to 70 - 80.

By 1930 cruising speeds were up to 50 - 55 with 30 - 40 being more "average". This is for Floating Power Plymouths, Ford Model A and Chev 6. Heavy models up to 70 - 80, not necessarily faster than the fastest 1920 models but safer and more comfortable doing it.

Tom McCahill reported that he drove his new Chrysler Imperial 80 roadster from New York to Palm Beach in 3 days in 1928. 30 years later he made the same trip in a new Imperial in substantially the same time, stopping in the same cities overnight. But he also noted, in the 1920s speed limits were loosely enforced and you never saw a cop south of Washington DC. In the 50s the south was full of speed traps.

By the early 50s the 50-55 cruising speed was normal, then the interstates came in and cruising speeds of 60 - 70 became the norm.

About the max. speed is 45 mph on my '25 but that does not happen very often --- hardly at all. Typical speed is 25-40. It really purr's along well at 35. On a flat road, I never start out in 1st gear - use 2nd gear.