1990 Reatta Convertible Lt. Driftwood in Junkyard NOW WITH PICS!

ReattaTType

I went to a junkyard about an hour away from my house who just got a Reatta inventoried. I saw gold in the parts listings so I went to the junkyard and to my surprise, a 1990 Reatta convertible. But also a Light Driftwood convertible, absolutely beautiful for being in a junyard. The rear wheel wells are rotted so it would need new quarters but the paint is quite nice. The aluminum trim is also black on the car for some reason. The car has a nice tan top, needs cleaning but has no rips that I could see. The interior is nice as well with the driver seat having one visible rip. Very clean car, but the owner sent this through the Car Heaven program which destroys the Ontario ownership. I don't know who in their right mind would do this, regardless of the amount of rust. I have pictures but I cannot save this car as much as I want to. They want $1000 for the whole car, missing wheels, rad, MAF, battery and the gas tank as this is one of those eco yards. The ownership/title is virtually impossible to retrieve now. Still even has the Craftsman log in the glove box and original dealer cards, but no portfolio. If anybody needs a parts car or anything let me know and I can send you the pics of what I found. Has only been in the yard for a few days so it is very complete.

Convertibles have some unique parts and you could easily recover your $1000 from parts. Convertible weatherstrip is impossible to find, if these cars have good window and door weatherstrip that would be resellable. The top mechanism seldom goes bad, but if a car was in an accident and the top bows get bent, another valuable part.

Please get the vin number on these cars so they can be added to the database....better yet, get a photo of the service parts label and we can get all the options on the car and determine if they are cars built for Canada.

If anyone reading this post finds a wrecked Reatta, please get the vin, colors, and options and send it to me.

Someday, our cars may become rare/valuable enough for crooks to change vin between cars and/or put a wrecked car back on the road. If we have a record on the database of the car being wrecked/scrapped that will be to our advantage.

Guest mounthopewalt

I'm from Burlington Ontario, and would be interested in several of the parts for my convertible. Please provide me with the wrecker's name and location. I'll contact or visit them.

Guest daveagain909

I need a couple parts from that car, If anyone is looking at it I will buy 2 specific parts, 1. THE PLASIC PART ON THE PASSENGER SIDE THAT HOLDS THE SEAT BELT FOUND ON THE top cover behind the driver seat specific to convertibles. 2. if the car has 16 way seats I need driver side plastic cover that covers the hinge to the back of seat.

Guest 89 red reatta

I don't know if the steering columns were consistant throught the years, but i have an '89, and my steering column is in need of repair. I broke the ignition key off somehow, and had to take apart the colum to remove the lock and tumbler, the column had serious play issues ever since.

Play following disassemby is usually from not getting the three big torx screws tight. Have to pull the turn signal mechanism to get at them.

No big, about an hour's work on a Fiero, 88-89 should be similar. 90-91 is more difficult to keep the air bag intact.

That amount of rust in the wheel arches indicates horrors underneath. Bottom of the door seems awfully dark also.

That said I wish it were here, that top looks better than mine (and the tan would go well with the gold wheels & a gold pinstripe) and it has both sixteen ways and CD. I'd want at least the latches and cables from the tonneau and the pins that go from the top to the tonneau.

Someone should grab all of the windows, panels, lights and electronics as well, that stuff is going to become very hard to find.

Guest vwdubb

Hello,

Thanks for posting the pics hndblt88!!!! Great find! Looking at the considerable amount of rust and rot on the passenger side and not on the driver side, I would be willing to bet the passenger side received a quarter panel sometime throughout its life. The only rust on the driver side is near the fuel door. That much rust on the pass side and not on the driver, could be a very good indicator of how no body shop can "seal" a panel to a car the way the factory does. I've seen it many times and even experienced on a car I owned for 10 years. Just my .02!

Looks like an abundance of great parts! Mike

Guest Greg Ross

For those of you who don't live in the Salt belt, the deterioration at the wheelwell lip is courtesy of the way GM assemble(d) their vehicles. There are a couple of spot welds where the corrosion starts from and then the lap joint between the inner and outer fender sheet metal parts just has a strip of sealer material laid in between the two pieces. That's it and 95% of GM cars show corrosion here before anywhere else on the body. I'd be willing to wager the floor pan is fine.

Thr Passenger side being worse is also typical of Salt Country, The salt and silt and slush will always be worst on that side of the car.

For a northern car, two days in the body shop could have all-metal repairs performed, and then it's just a paint job.

Shame to see it there.

Except for the rust, the car look way too good to be scrapped. It has both options, the CD player and 16 way seats. The top is not original, we have never seen a factory tan cloth top.

Sure wish you had the vin number... there were only 60 Driftwood convertibles built in 1990.

Quite a bit of rust on the driver's side wheel well also, just picture is too dark to see. Most is between the panels so a lot of cutting is needed thought suspect a coupe could be a donor. Maybe I am just spoiled by so many cars here with little rust.

Suspect the reason is the crown in the road - slush moves to the gutter side so passenger side of the car gets more salt.

post-31022-143138069066_thumb.jpg

Well this car has no title and is only to be used as a parts car now. Old owner was stupid and sent it through Car Heaven which is Canada's own Cash for Clunkers program. This is when it goes too far when they start allowing these cars to go through. One of the other 17 Reatta coupes that came to Canada just fell victim of this program as well.

Guest Greg Ross

What I know about the unique parts on a convertible are, well negligable.

Was the Window Sticker image posted for this car?

Recalling I noticed on the Window Sticker that it included reference to a "Cloth Top" being N/C

Were all the factory tops cloth, some vinyl?

Sorry, confused!

Greg, there is a black 1990 convertible in Indiana that has a window sticker indicating a black cloth top.

We have only found the black in cloth in 1990, not all 1990 black top were cloth, most were vinyl. There must have been a sales bulletin indicating a cloth top could be ordered but so far I have not found it.