1933 Bijur

Guest Z71Hobbs

Guest Z71Hobbs

Hello all.

I have a question concerning my bijur system on my 1933 standard eight sedan. After removing the body from the chassis, we discovered that the bijur system had been modified, crimped off, or just removed. As such, we have decided to basically re-create the whole system. I know that the bijur metering units are available.

My question relates to the "T" fittings that look like a stamped triangle. Is it possible to just heat the fitting and remove the old copper line, or would that destroy the fitting. Our current plan is to cut the existing copper an inch or two away from the fitting, and couple on new line from there.

I have reservations about the heating up of the fitting, then cooling, then trying to re-solder a new line.

I am trying to determine if anyone has done this or has any input.

Thanks!

If you need it you can pick up a chassis layout that I donated of the Bijur over on PackardInfo.com for 1934 Eight, essentially the same. As far as the stamped fittings, I think your approach of coupling new lines and not soldering directly on them is a wise approach.

I'm fortunate with mine, Bijur was still here in New Jersey and servicing the pumps and parts when I bought the car so it's never been inoperative, but if it becomes so or is disconnected and the car driven much, it sure raises holy he.. with wear on the shackles, brake rods, etc. I believe it's Bruce Blevins who has the drip plugs.

I have taken apart those three way fittings in several spots on my car. They are soldered in place with what seems like standard pipe solder. I heated the joint while gently pulling on the copper line. As soon as it came out, I stopped heating. I could find no evidence that this damaged the three way fitting.

Tom