Rather interesting write up I found while surfing.

Guest THEHKP7M13

Guest re-reatta

Oh my gosh, THEHKP7M13, I didn't recognize you. Thanks for posting the article. I hadn't seen that one.

Have a great day,

Kevin

Yes, it is an interesting write up. However the writer must be very uninformed to describe the 3800 engine as coarse and unrefined. I would like to see GM bring this powerplant back in an updated form in some updated cars, like a new Reatta or Riviera coupe.

Guest THEHKP7M13

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: padgett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not going to happen, GM is going to all aluminum engines with VVT (unless you consider the 3900 to be an evolution...) </div></div>

Aren't the 3500/3900's an evolution of the 3100/3400's?

GM has tried for years to kill the 3800 and seems to have finaly succeeded. Anyone remember the SHORTSTAR(the 3.5L V6 in the Olds Intregues that was suppose to replace the 3800's only for it (the shortstar) to not be able to meet he ever tightening emissions regs. while the "archaic" 3800 still could.

Two seat cars, other than sports cars, have always been a nitch market in this country. Americans and their cars have always been big.

There is a bit of a paradox that young people are small but so are their pocketbooks while "mature" people won't fit particularly around the wallet. This is part of what did in the Fiero. The amazing thing is that they reached production at all.

The flock of two seat GM cars that appeared in the 1980's were a partial result of the dot com mania and, to some extent died with it. However the nouveau riche wanted Ferraris and BMWs, not their parent's Buick.

In a number of ways, the Reatta's positioning hurt it - not as macho as the Corvette, not as expensive as an Allante, not as avant-garde as the Fiero, it was more of a luxury roadster for the sans coulottes who dreamed of a 450SL.

Personally, I was attracted by all of the electronics and was fortunate to begin with an 88 (for some reason since the seventies I have only had one car that was an odd model year and that was because they only made the GP 'vert in 1967 - a vintage year for GM by any standard).

The '90 serves to satisfy my craving for a 'vert but frankly I consider it decontented in comparison to the 88.

The article was written in the context of the late SUV era and does reflect some of the changing economy. While the performance had the obligatory pan (I think it is more the HP numbers than the actuality, my 88 will still record sub-nine-second 0-60, almost all in first gear and on 87 PON) there were some nice words though the journalist still did not recognise that the electronics will make the car a "landmark" in the future.

Good thing it has not happened yet, they are still affordable even as a "daily driver".

Nice thing about GM is that they have made so many unique cars. Almost all fail but seems like every twenty years or so, they give the engineers their head for a brief time before the bean counters take over again and for a moment, we all benefit.