89 2.2 litre head bolt torque and pattern?

Mobjak

Hello all,

Quick question, does anyone know and can post the head bolt torque and pattern for the 89 2.2 litre?

Self update here....

I have been bidding but not winning on the TC service manuals... frown.gif

But, I do have the old Haynes and I followed the first two steps.

Torque pattern was stated as..

starting at center front bolt to center back bolt, clockwise pattern

Round one 45 ft-lb

Round two 65 ft-lb

Big question, round 3- 1/4 turn or 75 ft-lb and should the engine be hot???

TIA

Hey Mobjak,

I will look that up and post tomorrow, I will also say that in all the different stuff i've put together I have never had to torque a heated unit. I have had to runthings thru a heat cycle prior to final torquing, but always had to let it completely cool down before torquing. lou

Mobjak,

My '89 manual says to start at center, 6:00 position, then 12:00, proceed to right (clockwise), then down for #4, jump over to left of center immediately to left of starting bolt, and proceed clockwise as stated.

Torque values are:

1st round - 45 ft-lbs

2nd round - 65 ft-lbs

3rd round - 65 ft-lbs (again)

4th round - +1/4 turn

After 1/4 turn, torque should be 0ver 90 ft-lbs; if not, manual says to replace bolt.

Tom

Hey Mobjak,

Tom just gave it to you. On that 4th shot if the bolt is too soft it will stretch and not hold torque. I think all bolts should be replaced with new. I don't like using them over . Too many heat cycles. Lou

To each thier own and the factory spec is probably the best overall torque sequence but I 'undertorque' the four corners by 5ft lbs. The gaskets tend to fail in the back left (#1 cyl) corner. Mostly its becuse there is just a small 'island' of gasket between the cyl bore and coolant jacket that is an inherant weak spot. IMO the gasket gets 'overcrushed' in that area causing weakness/deformation. So I just set the torquewrench for 60 in the four corners then add the 1/4 turn all the way around. Does it help? Don't know, but it makes me feel better cool.gif

Oh and I use Permatex copper spray gasket on both sides of the gasket...

Alan