63 LeSabre Dealer Conversion Car? 1 of 11?

ossenfort

Found this on Craiglist (link below) and never heard of this...especially since the seller states 1 of 11 and only two known to exist... ?

http://charlestonwv.craigslist.org/cto/1106342255.html

only 11 of these cars were built and 2 known to exist today, factory performance race car, 1963 2 dr le sabre, 401 nailhead came with 2 4's , now one, fact. adjustable traction bars, 1 ton rear axle,pan hard bar, duals 11 in brakes aluminum, to much to list, drive home anywhere at all. this car is ugly but in nice shape and is extremely rare, all new custom interior and more, first 6500.00 buys it. you will never see another one like this. will email pics to interested parties, call 304-222-2576

Interesting, but I would have to see some documentation to believe everything he says. I did some looking, and found the same car advertised for $5500 (with photos) on April 9 on the West Virginia Craig's List, and then in the listing that Ken has found, the price has gone up to $6500 (without photos) a few days later.

I'm not sure why Buick would make a "factory performance race car" and then put an automatic transmission in it, when they had 4-speed manual transmissions available for the '63 LeSabres.

Ken, thanks for calling attention to this unusual car.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

1948 model 71

1949 model 59

1950 model 76R

1963 Wildcat 4-spd. conv.

Sounds like bs to me. I have neither seen nor heard of a 63 with dual carbs, and definately not on a 401, since the 425 was available in 63. All 63s had the adjustable pinion angle bar on the rear end as well as two anti-sway/panhard bars, too. I am not really sure what 'duals 11 in brakes aluminum' means, either, maybe possibly referring to the front drums (?).

When he says custom interior, it makes me wonder if it is the black 4-speed LeSabre coupe with red/white custom interior offered on CL about a year ago from that general area, even though he did not mention 4-speed. I missed it by one call (ugh), but I do remember the woman selling it mentioning something about the interior being a non-original white/red tuck and roll. I'll try to see if I have the ad save somewhere.

When people make claims of '1 of 11' and so on, I sure wish they'd provide some sort of reference as to where the numbers came from.

Matt

I just got this reply from the seller:

I don't have the documentation except for the book it is in, 2 4's was a dealer conversion before it was sold new, it is an auto. car and the 1 of 11 known to be made, only two are registered in USA was straight from buick and DMV. thank you

I asked for pictures, I wish I hadn't, redone street custom with tar smeared on the floors to "cover" the rot and totally STOCK rear suspension, aftermarket front seats, etc, etc, there were NO pictures of the engine and all the pictures of the interior were taken from the outside with the windows UP !!!

63buick.jpg

If there is no documentation, and its a "conversion"--otherwise known as a modification- I'm thinking its not on the up and up. Just my opinion, but it sounds like a 63 LeSabre that was modified, at a dealership or someone's garage, but not Buick approved.

To add to Adam's tongue-in-cheek description, it also has the "extremely rare" painted grille and painted bumpers!

Actually, to give the owner the benefit of the doubt, it is a rather tastefully done modified Buick (and I'm not a big fan of modified Buicks!), but please don't try to sell it as a rare factory-correct, factory-produced 1963 Buick race car! I don't think any of us believe that!

Pete Phillips

post-33059-143138064727_thumb.jpg

Got another reply about the ad:

"I am listing for my friend he and another man done all the research on it and has the info your looking for. A museum in texas has researched the car. The museum has called twice about sending a a rep. to buy the car but declined because of the shaved doors and a few other mods the car has, electronic dist. and the intake and carbs were sold by previuos owner. the car has lots of extra parts with it also. you can reach the owner by calling 304-253-9377 eastern standard time, he has all the info you want on it. name... Butch Crews... thank you

Owners can say whatever they want about a car. IF I knew it wasn't totally dishonest (which it would be) I always thought it would be fun to run a bogus ad on ebay - especially for an overhyped car like a 64 Thunderbolt Ford, a Ram Air VII* GTO, a swiss cheese Pontiac, etc just to see the questions asked and the bids action on ebay.

Buick was too busy building great cars in the early 60's to fool with racing on a corporate involvement level. This car is a fraud.

My 1st recollection of Buick racing involvement from a factory authorization standpoint is 1968 with "some" Stage 1 over the counter goodies. There was that 1957 High Performance option but overall Buick did not participate in racing. I'm no expert so correct me if I am wrong.

* <span style="font-style: italic">no Ram Air VII exists </span>- so it would be fun to make up fantastical stories "documenting" it just to see the Pontiac gurus go all Star Trek on me, living in their mom's basement and dressed up in Jim Wanger costumes, trying to de-authenticate my claims - <span style="font-style: italic">all while bidding hit's six figures</span>.

• 3 years later...
Guest justice14u2

hello ,just registerd ,im restoring a 63 lesebre convert ,purchased in chicago ,(wish i knew what that ppr work ment wen i saw it )not sure if i have it around anymore,any way im almost done with the body work and paint ,im in need of seats ,i have the origanal but the are ruff ,same with the door pannels ,i hope to get pics on soon ,nice to see all the special interest in 63 lesebre ,i had no idea u guys were here,,,,,i bought the car in colo for 25 $ at an auction didnt know what i had ,,after 22 yrs of doing my best to save the car im real close to driving it ,,22yrs cuz i have had no money to do the work or a shop to do it in ! now it dont matter what the cost ,this car is a part of me now ,and will not be sold as long as im alive ,lol hope to see some others on the road this summer ,,,in wi,,,oh and i have a 63 dynamic 88 olds for sale ,,it needs a good home also a convertable 608 279 0500 if interested

Somewhat in keeping with the tone of this thread I would like to show you a picture of the limited production Chevy S-10 I bought in 2003:

post-46237-143141812886_thumb.jpg

These special S-10's were part of a combineD Chevrolet, Pontiac, and GMC consumer test similar to the Packard Request consumer tests of the 1950's.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)