Some cars of Amelia Island 2009

TG57Roadmaster

Had a great time at the 2009 Amelia Island Concours, took a lot of pictures...enjoy.

41_Packard_BandSXa.jpg

Larger, click once after opening to enlarge. 1941 Packard Custom by Bohman & Schwartz

32_Stutz_Super_Bearcat1X.jpg

Larger 1932 Stutz Super Bearcat

RR_SdV1Xa.jpg

Larger Rolls-Royce Sedanca de Ville

Bantam1X.jpg

Larger 1931 American Austin 142 Roadster

Ferr_2501Xa.jpg

Larger 1958 Ferrari 250 PF Cabriolet Series I (I think that's what it is).

57_DualGhiaD5001Xa.jpg

Larger 1957 Dual-Ghia

47_Bentley_FranayXa.jpg

Larger 1947 Bentley bodied by Franay

39_MB_540K_CabrioAXa.jpg

Larger 1939 Mercedes-Benz 540K Cabriolet A

35_DueseyMars1Xa.jpg

Larger 1935 Duesenberg SJ Town Car ex-Ethel Mars

35_Duesey_SJ_572a.jpg

Larger 1935 Duesenberg SJ 572 by Bohman & Schwartz

TG

31_BugTyp491Xa.jpg

Larger 1931 Bugatti Type 49 Convertible Sedan

30_Cord_5Xa.jpg

Larger 1930 Cord L-29 Town Car ex-Dolores Del Rio, a personal favorite from the Nethercutt Collection.

30_Cord_1X.jpg

Larger Impossible to capture at San Sylmar, it was a real thrill to see the car in natural surroundings!

29_DueseyJConvCpe1Xa.jpg

Larger 1930 Duesenberg J Convertible Victoria by Hibbard & Darrin

11_MercerRace2Xa.jpg

Larger 1911 Mercer Raceabout

41_Thunderbolt2X.jpg

larger 1941 Chrysler Thunderbolt, "The Car of Tomorrow!"

245 cars in 33 classes is too much for anyone to shoot in one day!

TG

Oh man.....I found myself sitting and staring for a long time at those cars. What a beautiful array of superb machines! Thanks so much for sharing...we don't see cars like that in Phoenix, Oregon. I had seen some nice specimens at the old Harrah's, Greenfield Village, Henry Ford Museum and Hershey. Even saw some of the few Bugatti Royales, but never around here. I hope that my drooling doesn't short out my keyboard.

Mika,

I share your feelings about the proportions of the Stutz (and the Duesenberg SSJ),

but they are super-rare and highly-collectible. Only two SSJ's were built; sources list 10 Super Bearcats were built, capable of 100MPH due to their short wheelbase and lighter weight.

Thunderbolt_Super_BearcatX.jpg

Larger

The dramatic difference between it and the '40-'41 Chrysler Thunderbolt shows

just how much design evolution changed in less than a decade.

TG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Stutz Super Bearcat and the Duesenberg SSJ is the automotive version of the Bee-Gee, sometimes referred to as the "flying coffin." </div></div>

NO! That is not an Andy Gibb item, it is a GEE-BEE made in Springfield. Mass. grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 1911 MERCER is new to me, or is it a known old one with a fresh restoration? Thanks for posting the photos, my boss was there and said it was a really fine show. </div></div>

Looks pretty darn fresh to me, except for the tires.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1911 Mercer is the ex Joe Murchio car that has been in the Stifel family for many decades. Joe and Helen Murchio lived in North Jersey and attended many of the early meets before there was Hershey.

The car was re-restored by the Stifels back in the sixties as I reacll. They also owned an L-Head raceabout that I believe was painted the same color.

It looks great and it is nice to see it out again afte many years in storage. The car is one of six 1911 Mercers (unless Fred Simeone's car is counted as a 1911) known to exist.