What kind of car is that?

Guest Bobby Valines

Guest Bobby Valines

I drive my 89 every day, I get a lot of stares, people saying nice car things like that. The most common thing asked is what kind of car is that. I'm wondering what kind of car they think it is. Has anyone ask that question back. It kind of looks like maybe a old mercedes, porsche, haven't figured it out. Has anyone ask that question back or have any Ida what they could be thinking? Any comment or discussion would be appreciated

Guest mounthopewalt

I would be parked next to a new Vette, and get more attention.

Very few people remember Buick made a two seater. Most think it's brand new. I've only had positive comments.

Guest spyhunter2k

My favorite comment so far was at the auto parts store, where an employee asked me "Is that a Lotus...? Looks like a Lotus..."

Last year I valet-parked my '91 coupe at a restaurant in W. Palm Beach FL. The attendant parked in in front along with a Beamer and Rolls. He had no idea what the car was...I guess it just looked expensive.

When I told the story to Ed Mertz who was Buick's GM at the time he said "Maybe if they had done that in 1991, they'd still be making the Reatta today.

Guest CL_Reatta

Did get a lot of comments on it back in HS... my best friend got mad at me when I sold it said "I was really jealous of that car" got alot of looks, and alot of conversations form people walking by. My girlfriends uncle who is never all there (drugs) when he saw it was like "wha wha what is that??" "it's a Buck Reatta" "oh ya buick did make some weird cars back then" I was like "what???"

I had my '91 vert (with new top) out today, brake lights were stuck on so the battery drained while I was in meetings and I needed a jump from a guy at work. I said thanks and mentioned casually that an 18 year old car is allowed a few oops', and he said, "huh? I thought it was a new car?!"

FWIW, having my car for only a couple weeks and living in L.A. (where not even an Aston Martin gathers much attention), I went to a car wash for the first time. Four (four!!) people came up to me asking questions.

A 40-something guy dressed in Armani thought it was a Fiat X 1/9 (he later got into an XLR) and another thought it was a custom car built by George Barris (aka Batmobile creator). A gal in her 20s thought it was the amphibious car she saw featured recently on Good Morning America. The one guy that got it right said his dad bought the car new for him when he went to Beverly Hills High School. He wrecked it a couple months later driving to Palm Springs on his prom night.

In the land of make believe, excessive use of silicone and palm trees,...where one is more likely to see a Rolls Royce Drophead Coupe or a Maserati GranTurismo then a Mazda or an old Chevy, I'm surprised at the attention this car has received.

Guest Mike_s

I've heard,

"Is that the new celica?"

"Is that a new vett?"

"Is that a porsche?

What kind of car is that? several times

"It's a damm Buick" from a suprized and disgruntled Merceedes garage owner who's wife had just told me and them him several times how cute it was.

Heh,

Bushwacked, it's funny he thought it was a Fiat. I recently went to an Italian restaurant where the owner is a real Italian (first generation immigrant, still has the accent!) and when I walked in, he asked if it was a Fiat. And here's a guy who spent most of his life around them in the "old country", so I thought it was funny, but in a complimentary way I guess.

I do get some comments, but I can't wait to see if it gets a lot more attention after the repaint. Then it will look like a nearly new car, and with the chrome rims I have ready to mount it will really look sharp. Since I have new emblems, door handles, even the outside lock cylinder trim caps and shutters are getting replaced, it will look as close to new as an 18 year old car can, with no pitted bright work parts.

Needless to say, I am really pumped over getting it done.

KDirk

Guest Kitskaboodle

Most of the comments I get are quite positive.

Most people are totally in the dark though about who makes it and what it's called. They just know it's pretty......:)

Most of the negative comments I get are from my fellow Fiero members. I will occasionally take the Reatta out on one of our runs and someone in the club will always make some type of derogatory comment such as, "I see you brought the old mans car today, huh?" frown.gif

Kit

Two incidents stand out:

1. Passing through a toll-booth, I handed the attendant the required amount and was about to proceed through, when he yelled, "Hey, hold it, hold it." When I stopped he leaned out the Dutch door, and said "What the hell is that?"

2. My wife and I were having breakfast at a sidewalk cafe. The Reatta was angle-parked three paces away next to a wide-track orange Carrera. A family of tourists (we get a lot of those here) was sitting at the next table. The father took his camera out and told the older buy to "stand next to that car". The boy got up and struck a pose next to the Carrera. The father shook his head, and pointed to the Reatta, "No, I meant the Ferrari."

Guest corey wasut

I get lots of looks,comparable to my Allante,lots of "nice car"complements,with the Reatta it seems EVRYONE wants to race!It sure would be nice to have another 100 hp or so for those moments!Nobody knows what the car is and ask alot,my rear tailight is lightly smoked so its hard to read the Buick letters.Had one guy think it was a new Lexus coupe once.

Guest corey wasut

I drive to Spokane Washington about every other month,which has tons of steep grades,thats where the Buick suffers it just runs out of steam,I agree the Reatta should have come with more power,just like the cadillac allante,they finaly got decent power in the final year of production!

Guest CL_Reatta

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corey wasut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It sure would be nice to have another 100 hp or so for those moments!</div></div>

reason #995000 for Philip to get dat 6 speed supercharged reatta done

Taken the Reatta to the Auto Zone or other parts houses, parked the car and put up the hood then inside ask for some assistance out at the car. The clerks dont really notice what kind of car it is until I mention that it shares a lot of same parts as Riviera - Then they will peek around the hood and say what is it? Or this is a Buick? etc.

Now that the warmer weather is here, will be driving the Reatta much more often. Maybe get more stares or comments : )

Hmmm...interesting. I've driven the Washington-Oregon

Cascades, California-Nevada Sierras (and specifically the

drive from Lone Pine east on 190 into Death Valley),the

southern and northern Rocky Mountains and various

mountain ranges east of the Mississippi and my Reatta

has always performed flawlessly and with plenty of power.

matthewlawe

89 White/Blue

My favorite question about 6 years ago by the Javits Center for the NY autoshow: "Is that a concept car?"

Just last week, went upstate to my aunt and uncle's for Passover. My mom reported that my aunt stated "Nice to see Roger bounced back so quickly from his bankruptcy, just two years out and he's driving a $ 50,000.00 car again." <G>