4 Barrel Carburetor update

Well, I finally got the Austin 4 barrel carb manifold installed on my '46. It's been so cold up here I delayed doing any wreching until it finally warmed up some. I can tell you that our old V12's really like modern carburetion. The Autolite 4100 ('66 Mustang)is very crisp and responsive. I also tried a Carter WCFB ('55 Chrysler) and while it too runs well it's just not as crisp as the Autolite. Both carbs have their standard jetting. Need to do more road testing before calling this a success but it sure looks likes this set up is a good alternative to a dual or triple. The distributor vacuum brake seems to functioning well also. I have plumbed the vacuum line directly into the manifold rather than use the carb taps. The "reverse" mounting of the carb allows you to use the Lincoln linkage. Both carbs have been converted to manual choke. More to come. Dee

post-32558-143138063928_thumb.jpg

If you dont mind me asking. Where did you get the intake and how much was it?

I just cracked the front of my edelbrock 2x2 intake when I tightened up the sling shot that hold the alternator.

It can be fixed but might just go with a 4bbl.

If you have one handy try the carter AVS 600cfm it should be a better performer than the Autolite.

Ken Austin in Oregon supplied the manifold. He has a web site at http://www.austinrodshop.com/

He also can do duals, triples, quads, along with the 4 barrel. He has the price of his manifolds listed at $600 each regardless of the style. I had to do a few "mods" in order for this "first-off" 4 barrel manifold to work right but I believe Ken has taken care of these minor issues. Had to use a spacer with a 2 deg taper in order for the carb to sit level and had to drill a hole for the vent tube. Some interference on the righr side spark plug conduit; fixed by putting 2 small "dents" on the manifold side surface of the conduit.

Dee:

You must have put some effort into making the assembly look so nice. last time I tried to re-carb an engine, a 68 T-Bird 429 I made into a 460 with a Lincoln crank, and a new Holley 750 cfm, I had to take the car to McGee auto in Lake Oswego to put on a dyno with an exhaust analyzer, and have them re-jet the carb. Worked pretty good afterword. When I get a caught up with a few other re-builds, I'll try the 4-bbl for the Lincoln V-12.

Abe

Haven't checked but I believe the manifold vacuum hasn't changed. The back barrels of the carb are completely closed until an open throttle allows them to operate. As you are only operating on the primary barrels most of the time there sholdn't be much if any change. The primaries ( Autolite 4100) are only .080" bigger in diameter than a standard06H. The "booster" venturis seem to make it more responsive and efficient.

The big off-set ( to the rear) on the Austin 3x2 might be a concern for the 12? A dual using larger 2 barrels might be a little easier to deal with?