After only having my 41 Continental Cabrolet, body# 18, for 34 years or so, it appears we are going to paint it this weekend.

This has been an on and off effort since the day I bought it and after three homes, raising two kids, retirement, etc etc etc, I am finally there.

I did hit the "wall" so to speak in January and could not force myself back into the garage as no matter how hard I worked or how many hours I put in, nothing seemed to change for all the effort. I also work 40 hours a week so this may have had something to do with it.

As luck would have it a guy I knew was layed off and he needed work. His former occupation was a body man so this was good. He was happy to have the work, I was happier to have him finishing up the body.

10 weeks later, and after block sanding the body a total of four times it appears we are there. The weather this weeked is looking good for N/E Ohio so it is time to bite the bullet and paint the car. Photos to follow as long as we finish everything as scheduled.

Tom

post-55048-143138063675_thumb.jpg

Who said there was going to be any left over? These brushes and rollers use a lot of paint you know. smile.gif

As far as hiring out, nope, not me. I have maybe one more car left in me and that's about it I do believe.

I did have the local paint supplier computer match some Darien Blue Poly I took him and it was an exact match in base coat/ clear coat. It ended up being a stock Ford color with some tinting modifications and using a fine metallic to match the original. I sprayed the Enamel Darien blue on a test panel, then masked that off and painted the base/clear next to it, perfect match. We will use the Acrylic Enamel with hardner on all of the inside areas and back side of the fenders and skirts. Everything else will be base/clear, mostly as I am not in a totally dust free enviroment and if any stuff gets in the clear I can at least polish it out. I am afraid if that happens with the enamel and I try to wet sand it out and polish, I will end up with a real mess due to the metallic. I did try a section of the test panel with 2000 and water, then polished it out. It did change the look of the paint and it had a mottled appearance, so much for that.

As an aside, take one Lincoln and take it all apart. Then try and figure out the order you want to use to paint everything inside and out. This includes all of the pieces parts that are body color. I can almost quarantee you it ain't gonna be done in one day, not at my place anyway. Today the inner fenders will be painted and possibly the inside of the fenders and skirts. Tomorrow the wheels front and back and the inside of the hood and trunk lid along with the windshield frame. Then onto the inside of the doors and engine bay, and finally the body. So far this has taken many weeks more than I ever thought it would to get to this point, but the end result is only as good as the prep work.

At this point I am thinking we may have everything finished up by mid week at the latest. Of course I have been totally wrong so far on time estimates so who knows?

Tom

Well,,here are the inner fenders in paint finally. I hope you can see the shine of the acrylic enamel. They really came out nice. Tomorrow will see the inside of the four fenders as well as the skirts in color, hopefully the 5 wheels also.

Tom

post-55048-143138064505_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143138064519_thumb.jpg

post-55048-14313806453_thumb.jpg

Well DARN! Was hoping to get my 41 Z all spiffed up and those bad spot hidden! I figured you could get a production line going with the rollers, kinda like a drive thru car wash! 60 second paint jobs!

Color is great and gives me a good idea what mine looked like when it came off the line. My vote is acrylic enamel all the way BTW: Will that get a clear coat over it also?

Hi Jim,

I would love to do the entire car in Acrylic Enamel but I only have one shot at this and if a spider, bug, or other junk landed in the wet paint, I would be rather upset. At least with Base coat/ Clear coat I have the chance to buff anything like that out and continue on.

If I did paint the entire car in Enamel, I doubt I would bother with a clear coat. Using the hardner with enamel it makes the paint flow out like glass and I don't think you would gain much with a clear coat.

Today is scuff the backside of the fenders and skirts and paint those. Tomorrow will be wheels and one more primer coat on the back side of the hood. Sand this out with some 400 and get ready to spray some color inside the hood.

Next up, the body.

Tom

Guest imported_V12Bill

Tom, In the old days before clear coat metallic colors would fade and dull very badly in just a year or so. That was because the metallic which is usually aluminium became exposed to the air through rubbing and waxing and oxidised. Just like old aluminium doors and window frames on houses. Applying a clear coat offers more protection to the aluminium dust and prevents air from getting into contact with the aluminium.

Hi Folks,

Progress continues, slow but steady. Here are a a couple of photos of the inside of a rear fender and a skirt. So far so good and I am very pleased to this point.

You will notice the test panel that was painted, the lower left on that panel is the base coat/ clear coat, lower right is the base before the clear, doesnt look anything near the right color that way.

Upper left is the enamel after sanding and buffing, really changed the color, upper right is the enamel as sprayed.

I dont know if this will show very well, but the inside of the fender was done in the enamel Darian blue and the lower left of the test panel is base/clear, it is a perfect match in person. The florescent lighting has a tendency to change the shade depending on how the panels are matched.

Work coninues, slow but steady however if we get to paint the body this weekend, you will hear the yell from Ohio.

Tom

post-55048-143138066272_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143138066282_thumb.jpg

Here are the wheels finished with the exception of the pin stripes. I am very pleased how these came out.

Still sanding on the engine bay getting ready to paint that next. All four fenders are painted inside and hung as are the skirts. This just takes a Month of Sundays to get finished and it is really really hard not to rush at this point.

Sooner or later we will run out of sanding and can get the body finished in color.

Tom

post-55048-143138067429_thumb.jpg

post-55048-14313806744_thumb.jpg

WOW I LOVE that 3 widow a LOT!! Matter of fact I loved it so much I bought a body shell of the 3 window and a donor 41 4dr. You can see it in the background on a couple of photos in this thread. I did play around with it a little and removed everything off the 4 door that didn't look like a 3 window. The frame and floor pan are pretty much exactly the same and other than moving the frame outrigger back to support the door, it will fit just fine. Talk about a project car!!! But well worth it when finished.

Tom

Update,

As usual my estimate of finishing the sanding was off. We took a day to get some more blue paint on some parts to keep us motivated, so here are photos of the trunk lid and skirts. Neither has been wet sanded or buffed, this is just how they turned out after spraying three coats of color and three of clear.

The outside of the car, hood, doors and windshield frame will be finished by Friday for the finish sanding part. The engine bay will be finished probably by Sunday at the latest. It looks like I will take a day off work one day next week and we can attack the rest of the car with paint.

Finally getting to the good part!!!

Tom

post-55048-1431380697_thumb.jpg

post-55048-14313806971_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143138069723_thumb.jpg

Well,,tis Sunday and I actually got the engine bay finished on time. Three coats of color and three clear and here it is.

We are trying for Wednesday to paint the rest of the car. It has been a long time coming but I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel finally.

Tom

post-55048-143138070726_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143138070737_thumb.jpg