1952 Desoto, 8 passenger, 276 Hemi 12 volt conversion

Guest BobBlankenship

Guest BobBlankenship

I am reading some that say my solenoids on the Tip Toe M6 will work fine on 12 volts and others say that there is a polarity and voltage problem with going to my 12 volt conversion. What do I do, I am committed at this point.

Bob Blankenship

Cherokee, North Carolina

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rickomo1

Bob i have a 52 desoto with a 276 hemi and looking at the wiring i see no problem with the electrical conversion but dont you have power steering being driven off the generator so how are you going to get an altenator on it?

Guest Bob Call

Bob

Converting to 12V you need to change all of the lights to 12V equivalent or install voltage drop resistors to keep the 6V bulbs. Things like the radio and heater motor will need voltage drop resistors. If you're going to keep a Chrysler Corp generator with the power steering pump, you'll need a 56 to 58 DeSoto or Chrysler generator. The voltage regulator needs to be changed to 12V. I think the 57 Chrysler regulator will work. You can get one at www.rockauto.com. Starter and solinoids should be OK. While you are at it get a Pertronix electronic conversion kit for your distributor to replace the points and 6V condenser. Also get a 12V coil from Pertronix to match the conversion kit. Look at www.pertonix.com for a 12V kit for 56 - 58 Chrysler.

Your car is 6V positive ground. You can install the 12V battery either positive or negative ground. Either way, you will need to polarize the generator and new voltage regulator. After the regulator, generator and battery are installed and all cables and wires are connected EXCEPT THE BATTERY LEAD TO THE REGULATOR, take the battery lead and touch it to the armature or D terminal of the regulator. This will polarize the generator and regulator. THIS METHOD IS FOR CHRYSLER CORP GENERATORS ONLY! Then connect the battery lead to the battery or B terminal of the regulator.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BobBlankenship

To Rickomo1:

Yes I had the 12 volt Chrysler Generator with power steering pump. I never took my old pump loose as the only thing different was which unit the male connect was on. It was a simple phillips screw to change the drive from the old to the Chrysler and everything was fine.

All the electrics are fine. The only problem, I have now is the thing don't want to start when engine is warm. I noticed in the maintenance manual that the old wcd 884sa carburetor had a problem starting when hot and they had a kit for it. Well I had a brand new 884sa in box and I switched out. The car started perfect hot or cold for about a week and now it is back to hard to start hot.

Do you think the electronic system will do me better or is this strictly a carburetor situation and should I go to a later carb system. Maybe, I need to unhook the water heating system and see if that helps.

Bob Blankenship

828-497-9709

Cherokee, North Carolina

bobblkship@gmail.com