Won't restart!

Hi everyone, my 22nd series car runs fine most of the time. Today, I had it running and shut it off off for less than a minute and it wouldn't restart. It is about 55 degrees out and the car was not hot so there is no reason to suspect vapor lock or anything like that. I sprayed a shot of starting fluid in the carb and it fired up and ran fine. What would cause this? Bad carb? Thanks, Dave

Is this the first day in a while you had it running? Has it sat in storage all winter? Did you put fuel preservative in the tank before storage?

1. Check for spark. Also, check your voltage regulator to make sure the points haven't stuck together. Mine do this all the time when it's been sitting for a while.

2. Fuel pump could also be failing.

3. If you have old gas without the fuel stabilizer, you might need to rebuild your carburetor and/or your fuel pump.

Thanks for the reply, I'm sorry but I don't understand how sticking points in the voltage regulator would cause this? Can someone explain this briefly to an "electrically challenged" person? Thanks

I was able to start it right away with a little shot of starting fluid. It usually starts cold without any problem. I have an electric fuel pump on it and since it started and ran fine after the shot of fluid I figured it must be carb related, I guess I need to rebuild it. It is last years gas but I did put stabilizer in it last fall. Thanks for all suggestions

Was just wondering about the condition of electrical system. If battery getting weak or there is extra resistance somewhere, warm engine & components could be pulling enough extra current load to the point voltage to coil will drop -- enough to give a very poor spark. The extra volatility of the ether would probably fire but the regular gas might not. Cooler electrical components usually more efficient so you might not see the issue when engine cold. Anyway, just a possible thing to look at if the carb work doesn't cure..

Keep the ether with you for starting until you run through the tank of old fuel. Refill with fresh fuel, and the problem may disappear. Would do that prior to rebuilding the carburetor.

Fuel, even with stabilizer, is only good for a few months.

Jon.

I noticed that too. The stabilizer doesnt work as well after 6 months as it does after 3.

When I store my car, I've been putting half a tank of gas, plus the stabilizer in, then top it up with fresh gas when I take it out. Seem to work nicely for me.

I've had the tank coated so i'm not worried about rust (yet )

- Mark