For Sale ...30 and 32 Convertible Coupes

Guest superods

Guest superods

Consigned both my 1930 Packard 733 Convertible Coupe with rumble seat and 1932 Packard 902 Convertible Coupe with rumble seat...with Significant Cars in Indiana. Anyone interested contact Shawn Miller 317 - 636 9900.

Site is http:www.significantcars.com

I sold my 1933 Packard Victoria Convertible in Jan. to an Air Line Pilot in Ill. So I will not refit any of the original Packards I own but will build out the last two 1934 fiberglass Packards taken from his molds by Dwight Bond of Second Chances. One is a 34 Convertible Coupe with rumble seat and the other is a 34 Victoria Convertible.

Attached is a work in progress of second of only three 1934 Packard Victoria Convertible's taken from the molds by Second Chances , mine being the third and last. This second one owned by Richard Jack is in upstate N.Y. I just got back from there documenting dimensions and taking many close up photo's for when it comes time for em to start mine. They are far more difficult to build than an original car. It is like building a one off.

post-51362-14313806323_thumb.jpg

post-51362-143138063237_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest superods

Both of the convertibles are about two days from end of auction. Time for one of you big money boys, who want to keep these fine Packard automobiles original, to step up to the plate and swing from your heels. Come on... it is only money. So no one can complain when I refit these beauties if they do not sell. I did my part.

I never have understood why someone would consign a car with someone else, who is then going to put it on Ebay. If you can take a few pictures and write a good description, then in 20 minutes or less you can post it yourself. I am sure Shawn is a nice guy, but why pay to list it on Ebay and a website when you can do it yourself? And I have to chuckle any time I see "easy restoration" in a listing (as is stated for the 902 on Ebay).

Interesting, also on Ebay, unrestored 840 for $50K reserve not met, needing everything, another, excellent unrestored, $140K buy it now. Any total restoration is a killer these days, just go price the paint sometime, not to mention chrome.

Good luck with your sales.

Guest Trunk Rack

This is VERY interesting. Would like to know more.

I am not sure what I am looking at. The body, hood, fenders & cowl looks superb. Are these the parts that are FIBERGLASS re-creations? If so, my compliments.

The chassis/frame looks like an authentic Packard Standard Eight. Same for the grill-shell. I dont see a motor inside that hood. What happened to the motor, running gear, wheels, transmission, and rear-axle assembly. Can we see some shots of the interior (dash panel and instruments, for example ?). Bumpers ?

Who can give us a rough idea of what it would cost to chrome plate that grill-shell ? What do shops charge for a a paint job (assuming no significant body-work; again, from what I can see, the shell and fenders are magnificent).? ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trimacar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. I am sure Shawn is a nice guy, but why pay to list it on Ebay and a website when you can do it yourself? And I have to chuckle any time I see "easy restoration" in a listing (as is stated for the 902 on Ebay).

</div></div>

Shawn just called me today and left a VM. He had my number when I was looking for a Packard about 4 years ago. I was thinking about calling him back and offering 5K plus a steering wheel for the 902 Coupe Roadster:D

Guest superods

I see we have some very astute participants here. I apologize to you Restorer if you feel that way about my comments. Was just trying to roust up Birdman is all. Trying to get a rise out of him. Heck...it took a personal call from Shawn to do though. Truth be known, Shawn has many contacts and is good at what he does....and I do not have the time nor the desire to deal with the many personalities that crop up during the process of selling the car or cars. I am going to end up with that steering wheel one way or the other Birdman...you know it and I know it !!

• 1 year later...
Guest GeoAnder

Last April 2009 in a posting on this site Superods (senior member) was in the midst of building a 1934 Packard Victoria Convertible, with fiberglass body by Dwight Bond. Please let me know how that project is coming! I have a similar car and it is delightful - and am curious about other owners of Bond's Packard high-quality 'replicars'...convertible coupes and Victoria convertibles... gbanderson4@msn.com

• 1 month later...
Guest superods

The convertible dipicted in that post is owned by Richard Jack out of N.Y. It is having the suspension done on it presently. My two are sitting waiting their turn to be completed. Have a few other 32's to be completed before I turn my attention to them. Shawn Miller sold my 32 convertible to Norway and the last convertible I have is a 1930 733 std 8. I will refit it or if someone comes along with enough cash It will be sold. I plan on keeping the plastic convertibles for myself. They were the last two Dwight had. I bought them right and have procured all pieces and parts for each. I see few of Dwights cars for sale. But when there were only 30 some built of the 33-34 convertible coupes and only three of the victoria ...to include mine one would not expect to see them often for sale.

Guest GeoAnder

Dear Superods,

The Victoria Convertible pictured in grey primer (April 2009 posting) is Richard Jacks' car, correct? And you apparently have a third one? Excuse me for curiosity, but I do have a completed one - just had it to a show today - and if any detailed photos or comments on the completed car would help with your projects, let me know. I admire Dwight Bond's excellent work at 2nd Chance Classics and would be pleased to make a useful contribution to making the best use of these Victoria bodies.

A few comments on mine: the gas tank bracket on one side was too weak and after perhaps 2000 miles it fatigued and broke off the tank, so that the tank was supported by its inlet hose resting on the leaf spring. Another point: the passenger side front fender had a flat spot in the bottom curve just over the wheel. I was able to fix it so that it looks perfect with very little effort - but before you paint the car you may wish to check if this is a mold problem on every such car or unique to my car. Last point: if you can get an original dashboard and gages setup, it makes the car capable of fooling even the casual inspection by a Packard Club member.... My intent is not to "fool" people - but it is definitely more fun to have so many people wonder if it is a replica car or not.

Since I first became aware of this "thread" at AACA I have had the suspension sorted out on my Victoria, and it feels like a new car. Three years ago a Porsche racing shop had aligned the car and it then shimmied, jiggled, and wandered. Two months ago a very good local Cobra and Mustang mechanic took the car and returned it in excellent shape! I think he better understood the Cordoba torsion bar front setup and other issues of this car. When I first heard of your project I was very curious about other kinds of front end suspension, but that need has evaporated.

Best of luck with your project. - George (Minnesota)

Guest superods

George....my email address is packardrefitters@windstream.net. Please send me a mail so I have yours and we can discuss our business relative to the Victoria. I think I may have a photo of your car, given to me by Dwight when I was there picking up my bodies and parts. It was outstanding. I believe the body was a cream shade and the fenders were a bit darker ....tan interior.... cream top. If not, then the three in number has just increased to 4. At any rate, anything you can tell me about your car is appreciated. I am traveling to New York to make patterns of all the top Iron pieces and parts so I can build mine. I will take some added shots of the car you saw posted here and send to you.

If ever you venture Ohio way please stop by. Oh....by the way if ever you have a problem with your cordoba front suspension....the owner of Fat Man fabricators built a front suspension for his 32 buick....also for 4000# + automobiles. That is the front suspensions I use on all my cars. Have photos and can send to you when you email me. You can see same on my website... Look forward to hearing from you.

Edited by superods (see edit history)

If you desire top irons for the Conv Coupe we can provide a reproduction set identical to the original in every detail. We have made 50+ sets over the last 32 years. Dwight originally contacted us to furnish top irons for his repros but the cost was prohibitive. They are a complicated cumbersome affair, difficult and time consuming to make but necessary if the car is to appear "original". We also have patterns for some (most?) of the parts for the Victoria Convertible if you are interested. You will find it virtually impossible to reproduce this top from measurements and photos as it is comprised primarily of large intricate castings.

Guest superods

Restorer....I am interested in the top irons for Dwight's 33-34 conv cpe and the patterns for top irons for 34 victoria. I bought from dwight a "hard top " convertible top which he said thet sold back in 33. I have some questions on the fitment so my email address is packardrefitters@windsrteam.net . email me with a phone number and the best time to contact you please. Also have interest in the repros of the original seat springs seat springs for same car....and my 34 hardtop.

Dwight did two tops for the victoria he built. One that is on the completed car and the other on Richard Jack's car. Was planning on taking a trip up to NY when they are taking the top ironsapart to paint and make physical patterns off them. But if you have them we can talk. Anything else you may have for the 33 or 34 cars that I may need am also interested in. Just bought a 34 club sedan out of calif. having it shipped this month. Thanks much...looking forward to hearing from you...mike

• 2 months later...
Guest superods

Birdman.....wanted to inform you that Shawn sold the 32 convertible you offered a generous 5000.00 and a steering wheel for. It went to Norway.

They paid 47,500.00.....Shawn took his 7 % and sent me a check for the remaining amount. Happy that someone wanted to restore it.

Guest superods

I would agree and disagree with your thinking on pricing. Mine needed total restoration. The one you spoke of could be a "driver". Would you pay 100k for an automoble that no doubt needs total restoration as well? Not me. Now I would love to sell one for that kind of money....don't get me wrong. But that 6 figure number is a bit steep.....even for a person of your means!! Now my 30 runs strong and is a driver. But it also needs total restoration. Problem today is the cost of doing so ....less one is capable of doing it themself. Such is life.

Superods

Just got my Hemmings today. A 37 Super coupe was a bid up to 110K and was a no sale. It was a #2 car. I think that is crazy money. However with the 32 CR, it could be a decent driver. Would I pay 100K for it. No, because I know I would put a lot more into to it than it's worth. But that's not how you price cars. It's a convertible from the three most desirable years (32-34) for collectors. This car was in much better shape than yours.