Sign in to follow this  
Scooter Guy

Doodle Bug Scooters

Thanks for the very useful info. I have an original left side panel form a Model B I picked up at the 2018 reunion. It has the hole for the choke wire or rod?  I used it for a pattern for both sides and was handy for locating all the original mounting slots and choke hole locations. It must be interesting to start a cold engine, holding the brake with one hand, pulling the choke with other and kicking it over while standing on one leg.

Jonny D.

Glad you brought up about the choke rod being on the wrong side of my scooter, I may change it and the gas tank mounting. The choke rod gets in my way of cranking the engine, my foot hits the choke rod and bends it. My scooter was restored by a gentleman  in Iowa, I can't remember his name, first name is Jim. It is supposed to be an original Clinton scooter. 

Does any one know where to find the white coke bottle style grips for my 1946 Clinton Doodle Bug? I think Fox Grips has made them, but can't  locate the company.

Epay has all other kinds except these.

Thanks

Jonnyd

Email the new owner of Fox Grips, Mike, at foxgrips@yahoo.com 

He has posted his name and email publicly here, so I'm not sharing private contact information:

http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=1459.0 

He has the mold for the Doodle Bug grips you need and can make them in white, as per original. 

It does not seem that a website ever materialized. Most of the business seems to be running through eBay. 

Thanks for the tip, I have contacted Fox grip and waiting for a reply.  In the mean time I have painted my side panels and a friend has a striping tool he will let me borrow.  I will wait a while for the paint to cure and do some practice striping. I have also taken the handle bars and front tire assembly apart.  I have straightened the handle bars and tweaked the fender and are ready for paint.  Wheel bearings are new as is the felt. This has been a fun indoor project with our cold winter climate here in MN.IMG_1514.thumb.jpg.13e3917522589d97329394582e0c4b09.jpg

Frame is now sand blasted, primed and painted red. Hope to have together for the Bike-IMG_1534.thumb.jpg.366d377fa7ac9c1c1a5f1cedf9e38b7c.jpgScooter meet March 22 ? in Humboldt, Iowa

Looking good!

What's the story on this scooter?

Do you know much history on it?

Where did you find it?

What condition was it in when it came to you? 

Was that engine with it when you got it? (almost certainly original, if so)

I purchased this scooter at an estate sale in Minnesota. A friend of mine was helping with the sale and knew I had a Doodle Bug as kid and asked if I might be interested. Guess what, I bought it. I paid a fair price not cheap and not crazy ether. It had the frame, wheels with bad tires, handle bars, both fenders and the original 710ALSB Clinton engine with kick start.  No controls, kick stand, jackshaft, gas tank or mountings. The frame had been badly black powder coated. Have since done every thing to get it into as close to original running condition as possible. According to Jim Juon , Vern ?, and Jim Kalua it is an original B model. It had the Hiawatha emblem but we could not fine the other badge with mdl info. This pic it the current status . 

IMG_1556.thumb.jpg.d0ff4980313909310a023d0c476de4b4.jpg

All done, well very close.  Just the fuel line, Hiawatha badge and a few other details. I hope to take it to Humboldt Iowa if the weather cooperates. It has a few details that are not correct like the top strip on the front fender. I have the strips pointing in the same direction, doesn't it look like it's going faster this way ? Ha

Jonnyd

IMG_1564.jpg