Doodle Bug Scooters

• 2 months later...

My new project, it will be a driver quality with a little more power (3hp). I think is an early 1946 frame with the steel strap welded to the engine plate rather than a formed rib for added strength ? It has a new down tube and some other frame repairs, a little more prep and then paint.

All fun stuff

Jonny D.

image1.jpeg.8013deea9bcae397328ce52e81a2df86.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Jonny,

You are correct: that's an early frame. They have the straight steel strap rather than the stamped ridge that the later plates have. While we're on the topic, the plates for the Clinton engines are different from the Briggs & Stratton plates.  

The steel strap on the engine plate is made of tool or spring steel and is very tough, It was broken loose at one end and now is rewelded. The Bug is almost ready to ride now and is going to Webster Iowa this fall for the reunion. I will try to put up a picture at a later date. Yes I believe this scooter was probably Briggs & Stratton version. I do not have the original engine so will run what I have a 3hp Briggs.

Jonny D. 

• 3 weeks later...

The bug is running and I have had it out for shake down rides. That little 3 HP engine really runs strong, I myself would not feel safe with any more power.    Did the pin stripping and installed the side panels, just need some decals,Z2GuHX89RcaBxoJ3r8Nj0Q.jpg.5c070e6e938172771e5a9cea6ab29b41.jpg so pretty much finished. We will be off to Webster Iowa this week for the annual Doodle Bug reunion and am looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to the reunion and it was a great time, lots of scooters and old and young friends. Lots of riding, eating and chating.

I brought some parts to sell and one of my Doodle bugs and sold the Bug and most of the parts. I did buy a few parts I needed

to finish my rider Bug. 

Later

Jonny D.

• 1 month later...

Scooter is put away because of our Minnesota weather and back to winter project, my long term 1956 ford project. I work on it when I can enjoy it, I don't like to make work out of my hobby. I am not sure what I will do with it when finished, I have a older street rod that needs some up dating and tender loving care. Here is a pic.

Later

Jonny D.

ihPdhIe6RBe4zswsUN45Cw.jpg

• 1 month later...

I sure enjoy riding my new rider Doodle Bug with a little more power.   I was afraid to ride my restored bug in fear of damaging it or breaking it. It also lacked the power needed to haul me around😐. My first long ride on the Boone River trail in Webster Iowa was fun and a good shake down ride for my new Bug. Some of the little screws that hold the side panels on came loose and some were lost. I will have to lock tight them I guess. I needed easy access to adjust the carb and never had them come loose on my other Bug. Another pic of before it was finished, I moved the brake to the left and put a twist throttle on. It seems a little safer when the throttle comes back to the idle position when released. 

Happy holidays

Jonny D.

FrA2eUSJQc6TvfCxF0V6vg.jpg.e5da909e0f0353c92ea2392ee9304329.jpg 

• 9 months later...

Very nicely restored scooter, It was nice chatting with you the other night. I believe you said it was in a museum after restoration. Mechanical items like this can give you problems after setting for long periods of time. Good luck on your adventure with the Doodle Bug. 

Jonny D.