starting my 1958 buick special

mic

First I wanted to say hello to everyone and I hope that someone out there can help me.

I recently got my 1958 buick started again, after replacing the points, wire and plugs, she was humming like a champ. The generator starting smoking so I turned her off. Now she wont start at all, I turn the key and there is silence.

Battery is charged- when I turn the key and press the gas pedal to start it the motor doen't turn over, I get nothing.

I tested the Starter, the starter is working

I am getting power to the starter

Could me voltage regulator be bad, I just changed it 2-4 years ago.

Could the ignition switch gone bad? I am getting power to the switch-not sure if it is sending it back out.

Also can anyone explain how the gas pedal starting system works.

I appreciate anyone that could help me with this.

Thanks so much.

Although I have a 56 Buick I don't know anything about the gas pedal starter thing. Mine is missing and has instead a starter button on the dash.

Take the generator to a shop and have it looked at and repaired. They only come with a certai n am't of smoke in them and when it's gone they won't work anymore. However, the generator has nothing to do with the car not turning over. Neither would the voltage regulator. It too may have leaked smoke though. There was a reason your generator smoked and it may be because it was being over worked.

If you're getting power to the starter why would you think the switch is bad?

Have you checked the selonoid? If it's bad the starter will not engage. That would be the first thing I would check, right after I found out why the generator was smoking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First I wanted to say hello to everyone and I hope that someone out there can help me.

I recently got my 1958 buick started again, after replacing the points, wire and plugs, she was humming like a champ. The generator starting smoking so I turned her off. Now she wont start at all, I turn the key and there is silence.

Battery is charged- when I turn the key and press the gas pedal to start it the motor doen't turn over, I get nothing.

I tested the Starter, the starter is working

I am getting power to the starter

Could me voltage regulator be bad, I just changed it 2-4 years ago.

Could the ignition switch gone bad? I am getting power to the switch-not sure if it is sending it back out.

Also can anyone explain how the gas pedal starting system works.

I appreciate anyone that could help me with this.

Thanks so much.

</div></div>

I think I know what has happened and is happening. First the generator probably burned up because it sat so long it probably needed polarizing. When you started the thing up it probably had polarized itself backwards and was driving the battery in the wrong polarity. Well that is my probably explanation to the generator.

Now to the starter. The starter circuitry for Buicks use a starter relay (4 wires) that involves the generator. One of the wires goes directly to the armature wire of the generator and is used as the starter relay ground return when starting the car. Having the generator faulty explains why you can't start the car. If you want to prove this, just ground the armature of the generator and try to crank the engine, if it cranks you have found the problem.

The accelerator pedal start works like this: With the car in Park or neutral, pushing the gas pedal will activate the starter relay via a switch on the carb. Now when the car starts it does two things, one it generates vacuum and the vacuum is used to open the switch on the carb. The other thing it does (if charging system is good) is start to charge the battery. The starter relay coil, as pointed out is grounded through the generator armature when the engine is not running, however when the engine is running there will be no more grounding potential at the generator armature. Therefore these two items disallow the starter from being re-engaged when the engine is running.

Older Chrysler semi-automatics had similar failsafes for their starting systems.

Good luck cry.gif

Guest imported_JPIndusi

d2_willys has it right. One end of the starter relay coil is grounded through the generator armature when the engine is not running. Once the engine starts, the armature is now slightly above battery voltage and the starting relay coil is no longer grounded and will not operate. My suspicion is that: 1.the regulator cutout points are stuck connecting the generator armature to the battery at all times and the generator is functioning as a motor that cannot match the mechanical load so it burned up, or 2.the regulator field or current contacts are stuck and the regulator is not contolling the charging voltage and current. If you replace the generator be sure to replace the regulator and check all the wiring to be sure of inadvertent grounds.

good luck.

Joe, BCA 33493

thnks,

I DId notice that my carb. starter switch wire was loose, after further inspecion the wire at the plastic body was completely gone.

I grounded out one of the terminals in the back and got the motor to turn, when I tried to give it gas it stopped turning. When I released the gas it started turning again.

Does the carb. starter switch and the starter, pedel work together. This set-up is all new to me and I've never hasd to deal with this problem.

Does anyone know of a rplacement part?

thanks again for all the help sp far.

Thanks, can I bypass the carb switch by conneting the two wires at the card to each other and then press the pedal. This should bypass the system all together right?

Also if the ball on the switch is left up the up position (stuck) the car wouldn't start either right?

Before I take it apart I want to see if this would work.