"NEW" eBay Motors Site

hddennis

Since We are talking about eBay I'd like to ask a question of the Members on here that use it. How many on here actually like the New version? I'm asking the people that have prewar cars or are looking for parts that were made at least 40 or 50 years ago and are not available at the local wax & polish emporium. I cleared my computer cache tonight and now find that I can no longer access the old version. I can't check to see what is new today, the other parts category only has 133,000 items, 2,600 pages and my old computer just chokes on the huge searches this new "Yuppies delight" version turns up. eBay has suddenly become useless for my parts needs. Here's a great opportunity for some one to create a site that caters to us antique car people. Anyone else have a solution I can use or tips on living with this junk we find ourselves saddled with?

Thanks, Howard Dennis Former eBayer 1998-2009 R.I.P.

The real Trouble this time is if they go through with this change I really can't see it being a place we prewar guys can use. I've known this change was coming for ages and have really tried to work with it but it is totally useless.

Howard Dennis

Guest Skyking

Ebay changes too much too fast. I don't sell alot of stuff, but everytime I do post a part, they change the format again. I think the people running programs have way too much time on their hands. If it works, (apparently ebay does) then leave it alone!!!

Howard,

I whole heartedly agree! I gave up on Ebay and prefer to sell stuff on the Forum Buy/Sell listings.

I also still go to prewar swap meets like Bakersfield (this coming week) and Chicasha when work schedules don't interfere. There are still some old timers who do not have computers....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dean, I haven't noticed the "NEW" eBay change, but based on 10 years of eBay sales ANY CHANGE IS BAD! I stlll want ten minutes alone in a room with the ----head that added the shipping rate section to the item posting form. </div></div>

Can I be second in line in that room? I REALLY hate the miscalculations on shipping costs and it is always a sad surprise to the buyers and myself. I have had to do a partial shipping cost refund many times because of their poor calculations.

I sinply state in my auctions "I DO NOT TRUST ANY SHIPPING RATE eBay WILL ADD TO ANY OF MY AUCTIONS, I SHIP FED EX GROUND BASED ON BOX SIZE AND WEIGHT. If they can't read that and insist on paying before I send the End of Auction notice I keep the overpayment. If Johnny can't read too bad.

Bob, You better enjoy tonight's eBay searches as tomorrow's the start of the "New" version. I wonder if we could all list links on eBay to this forum's buy & sell section to try and salvage the remmant's of a pastime that has helped my restorations and also my part's buying fund.

Howard Dean Dennis

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sinply state in my auctions "I DO NOT TRUST ANY SHIPPING RATE eBay WILL ADD TO ANY OF MY AUCTIONS, I SHIP FED EX GROUND BASED ON BOX SIZE AND WEIGHT. If they can't read that and insist on paying before I send the End of Auction notice I keep the overpayment. If Johnny can't read too bad. </div></div>

This is the worst thing ebay has done yet!! 1937, I do the same. I'm tired of getting screwed because of their rules.........

There is a forum in the ebay community section about the "new" ebay motors. Here is the link:

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Ebay-Motors/New-Ebay-Motors/510083932&start=225

You probably won't be surprised to see it is OVERWHELMINGLY against this forced change. So far, 18 pages long....

Every time an ebay spin doctor comes on line, they totally ignore the critics, with garbage like "we're working hard to listen to your issues and make ebay motors even better."

Of course, the overwhelming response is, leave it alone.

But, like Starbucks expanding too fast, Windows Vista either requiring a new computer or eating up memory on your old one, Blockbuster ignoring Red Box, and the favorite, the rocket scientists who were CERTAIN the 'new' Coke would be a hit, it looks like ebay is going to have to learn the hard way.....

Joe

Take the effort to post your opinion on the thread that Reatta Man posted above; I did..several days ago, I am on page 10.

If they left that thread up like the have so far, maybe someone at ebay is actually reading it.

It's all about money, period. In such a HUGE thing like Ebay Motors, their accountants MUST be able to track daily/or/hourly fluctuations in profits,total new listings, as well as failed "last moment sniper attempts". Even a 5% drop would equate to millions? in losses??

They set the new changes thinking that we collectors can use the same search formats like looking for the best deal on a IPOD, or a pair of jeans. They just don't understand how a collector (of anything old), uses a search in different ways.

>>>>>have any of you guys tried sniping with 2-3 seconds with the new "countdown" showing on the item? That countdown was rumored to be what is slowing down some PCs, and last seconds bids are not going through in time.

I totally agree that the new format sucks, pretty much the same as all the other big changes Ebay has made over the years. Part of the problem is that it's not working correctly, they start things like this up before the bugs are out and make their repeat users the guinea pigs, just like Microsoft. The biggest problem is that nobody likes change, especially to something that we use as much as Ebay Motors. At the end of the day though, it is still the largest marketplace for the cars and parts we need to buy and sell. I will learn to use it and once the bugs are out it will probably work just fine.

I visit EBay very rarely anymore. The new format, Sellers listing items using words TOTALLY unrelated to the item and shill bidding abuse that goes unchecked by EBay the site has become virtually useless.

It also does not help when the maker of most of my vehicles recycled a old model name used 30+ years ago to use on a new vehicle.

That adds many, many 1000s of items for the new vehicle to searches.

Finding parts for my old vehicles has become a very difficult process and a PAIN in the butt.

Funny how that automaker now decided to drop that name from the current model when the updated version is introduced in the next year or so.

If ebay REALLY wanted to improve things, they would force on people a spell checker before anyone can post an ad.

Nowdays, I have to compensate for others' failure to pay attention in their politically-correct public school classes. My three most common adjustments are for the following:

1. Looking for anything chrome? Better search for (chrome,crome)

2. Want anything for a convertible? Search (convertable,convertible)

3. Anything for a Chrysler Lebaron? List (crysler,chrysler) (lebaron,le baron,labaron,labaran)

As others have said, please send your comments back to ebay. I would imagine there is one chance in a billion anyone from ebay reads a forum like this designed for old car hobbyists.

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hddennis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jim, Glad to hear it helped someone. Shhh! don't tell anyone but the changeover didn't happen this morning. Let's hope the squeaky wheel got the grease!

Howard Dennis </div></div>

doesn't work today though .... frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Reatta Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If ebay REALLY wanted to improve things, they would force on people a spell checker before anyone can post an ad. </div></div>

Now don't get me started...

Too late wink.gif

You would think that these rocket scientists could walk out to the garage, look at the emblem on the car, and figure out that there's no "E" in Camaro or Cutlass...

But you forget the misspelling are some of the best buys.

I had a friend who collected "Motor Manuals" his best buys were buying "Moter Manuals".

I have another friend who collects some kind of rare china plates .

he get his best deals from someone who misspelling it.

If you misspell something your item is not going to be found by the search engine and you will not get the money you would have if you spelled it correctly.

I once bought 3 "hydrolic" cylinders for a back hoe(worth about $300) for the opening bid of $10 and $80 to ship)

The misspellings work for me.

Well I finally played with the new eBay Motors with my old saved searches. You are right they don't work as well any more.

I dove in to see why and the reason they don't work is they changed the search parameters around so a bunch of my search criteria was ignored. It took me only a minute or so on each of my canned searches to create new criteria that actually gave me better searches than before using some of their examples and canned check mark refinements. I guess I don't have a problems so far with their new eBay Motors.

If you're looking for anything related to Buick Rivieras for example, you can find them under "riv", "rivi", "rivera", "riveria" or even "riviera (duh)". Also, IMO the new ebay motors format has so much overhead my highspeed comm link now takes twice as long and uses twice as much computer resource. And what's the deal with every time I execute a search, it comes back w/ "Best Match" even after I've changed it to "Newly Listed". Some programmer had way too much time on his/her hands...why leave a good thing alone...

... I can't even sign in this morning; it just stalls. It's turned into a third rate site.

Ok, some "educated" person(s) decided how to make Ebay more money with a new format... I think they should all be fired, but they will likey get a big bonus instead.

Interesting comments on spelling and overhead.

I routinely use alternate (read incorrect) spellings in my searches. One would be amazed at what are the results of so doing.

I find my computer routinely freezes up, locks, when browsing on ebay. I attributed it to some problem on my end, until I read your remark about overhead?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LINC400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It doesn't seem to affect much if you are looking for cars. However, if you are looking for parts, you cannot search by year anymore. This is a huge inconvenience. </div></div>

Sorry, but I just don't understand all the whining about this. I have about a half dozen saved searches that I execute every day. I've been using the new ebay motors for a couple of weeks now. With the one issue that some of the search criteria got lost in the conversion and I had to retype them, I've had no problems. I use wildcard searches (ie, "door*" to capture "door" or "doors"), which also allows you to account for misspelling. I put the years I'm interested in right in the search criteria (1969 and 69 both, to capture either). So far, no problems.

Previously when looking for parts, I would type Lincoln and select year 1972-1979. Now I will have to do seperate searches for Lincoln 1972, 72, 1973, 73, 1974, 74, 1975, 75, 1976, 76, 1977, 77, 1978, 78, 1979, 79. Gee only 16 different searches for what used to be one. Great improvement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LINC400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Previously when looking for parts, I would type Lincoln and select year 1972-1979. Now I will have to do seperate searches for Lincoln 1972, 72, 1973, 73, 1974, 74, 1975, 75, 1976, 76, 1977, 77, 1978, 78, 1979, 79. Gee only 16 different searches for what used to be one. Great improvement. </div></div>

No you don't. Just type this in the search box:

<span style="color: #3366FF">Lincoln (1972, 72, 1973, 73, 1974, 74, 1975, 75, 1976, 76, 1977, 77, 1978, 78, 1979, 79)</span>

The commas inside the quotes are the same as a logical "OR" function. If you then save that search, you only have to type it once.

For those who don't know, here are the search operators that let you write very detailed advanced searches on ebay:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/search/search-commands.html

Of course, I should ask myself why I want to make it any easier for people to compete with me on auctions... wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe_padavano</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LINC400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Previously when looking for parts, I would type Lincoln and select year 1972-1979. Now I will have to do seperate searches for Lincoln 1972, 72, 1973, 73, 1974, 74, 1975, 75, 1976, 76, 1977, 77, 1978, 78, 1979, 79. Gee only 16 different searches for what used to be one. Great improvement. </div></div>

No you don't. Just type this in the search box:

<span style="color: #3366FF">Lincoln (1972, 72, 1973, 73, 1974, 74, 1975, 75, 1976, 76, 1977, 77, 1978, 78, 1979, 79)</span>

The commas inside the quotes are the same as a logical "OR" function. If you then save that search, you only have to type it once. </div></div>

Ok that works, but it still seems like extra work for no gain. I do not currently have any saved searches on Ebay. I guess I will have to now if I don't want to type in all that crap anytime I search for something. I still say it was easier just to type 1972-79.

THE NEW E-BAY SUCKS. I HAVE ON MY FAVORITES COLLECTOR OVERVIEW. I CLICK, IT COME UP WITH EVERY MFG. & MODEL. EXAMPLE; I USED TO CLICK ON OLDSMOBILE & IT CAME UP WITH OLDEST FIRST.( WHICH I WANT.) NOW IT COMES UP ZERO & I HAVE TO GO THROUGH 5 OR 6 STEPS & THEY ARE STILL OUT OF ORDER EVEN THOUGH I PUT IN OLDEST FIRST. THE NEXT DAY I HAVE TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LINC400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Ok that works, but it still seems like extra work for no gain. I do not currently have any saved searches on Ebay. I guess I will have to now if I don't want to type in all that crap anytime I search for something. I still say it was easier just to type 1972-79.</div></div>

The 1972-79 still works for car searches, I use it, haven't tried it in the parts searches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim Bollman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LINC400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Ok that works, but it still seems like extra work for no gain. I do not currently have any saved searches on Ebay. I guess I will have to now if I don't want to type in all that crap anytime I search for something. I still say it was easier just to type 1972-79.</div></div>

The 1972-79 still works for car searches, I use it, haven't tried it in the parts searches. </div></div>

Yes, I mentioned earlier that it still works for cars. It does not work for parts. Which is stupid because there are a lot more parts than cars. And even if you are looking for a specific year car, the parts are available across more years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe_padavano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Of course, I should ask myself why I want to make it any easier for people to compete with me on auctions... wink.gif </div></div>

Joe,

I was thinking the same thing when you posted that. LOL smirk.gif

I have not had any problem with the new version either searching parts or cars. Yes there are some nuiassances one must deal with but its not like anyone is forced to use ebay.

If one does not like the new version don't use it and take your business elsewhere. That will get quicker reponse from ebay than any complaints because it affects their bottom line.