1995 to 1999 Riviera the next Reatta?

Guest BJM

I had this thought while being passed by a last gen Riviera. Will the 1995 to 1999 Riviera receive the same loyal following as the Reatta?

These cars can be had from $500 for a non running car with issues to a top value of "about" $8500 in primo shape with the "average" in the $2000 to $2500 range.

They are defined by the same 4 year life span as the Reatta, did not change in styling in four years, same the Reatta.

They were the flagship car for Buick during this period, same as Reatta. They were wildly styled for their time, still very unique today.

When did the Reatta craze take off? How does that compare to the now 10 year old last-gen Riviera?

Guest THEHKP7M13

I would like to say part of it is fueled by people desiring a 2 door luxury type coupe from a domestic manufacturer and none being available. Personally the lack of 2 doors has made any 2 door from the recent past(s) somewhat special to me.

Guest steveskyhawk

The Reatta craze took off in 1988 when many people saw them on tv for the first time. I wanted one then but couldnt afford it. The last generation of Riviera will have to grow on you I think. You need to look at the interior to appreciate the car. wow!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: handmedownreatta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When did the Reatta craze take off? How does that compare to the now 10 year old last-gen Riviera?

has a reatta craze taken off?people ignore mine.

</div></div>

This forum is evidence of the Reatta craze, and I have heard many members sya they receive thumbs up, but it's not necessarily a public response that creates a craze. Reatta has it's own division and many devoted followers. Many on this forum search salvage yards, preserve Reattas, have a lot of knowledge specific to Reatta - taht to me is a craze.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: harry yarnell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I think the '94-99 Riviera ugly.One of the reasons it was killed off.

Now the '89-93 Riv was beautiful, and THAT series I collect.

Disclaimer: beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. </div></div>

Harry,

The Riviera generation prior was neat but out of proporation, as was the Cadillac Eldorado and Olds Toronado. The 95-99 iteration was a true clean sheet Riviera,and I admit - from some angles it can look ingainly BUT I think GM did right by going out on a limb - getting away from the 3 box shapes that prevail.

Today, you know it is different coming down the road. Auto designs have morphed since that time into some basic shapes with an attempt by the manufacturer to add a que so people know it's a Buick or a Honda or whatever.

Take the new Buick LaCrosse (not to get off-track on my own post) It looks a lot loke the Lexus ES300 from which it was benchmarked - until you see the grille.

So although this is a Reatta forum and I intend on purchasing a couple of Reattas in the next 3 years - I have to look at the Riviera and wonder - for it's sake -if it will gain in collectoers interest the way the Reattas have.

Or, will it slide into oblivion and see many get crushed as they become just used cars with problems.

The only reason I would want the late Riviera would be as a driver...and only with the 3800 supercharged engine.

Once you are in the car you cannot see how bad the rear looks (sort of like a carps mouth)

There will be people collecting them especially the limited run of "Silver Arrows" Production wise, they built far more of them than Reattas, so if you are looking, they should be easy to find.

My reference material indicated the following production numbers... 1995 = 41,422, 1996 = 18,036, 1997 = 18,827, 1998 = 10,953, 1999 = 2154, for a total of 91,392 for 5 model years

Guest corey wasut

A while back my wife was ranting about this "new"car she had seen,"sleek and beautiful"she exclaimed,"like nothing else out there"said she had never seen such a car before and it had no badges on it,a few weeks go by and traveling down the highway we get passed by a 95-99 Olds Aurora and she screams "Thats the car"!She thought that that was a brand new car!As i looked at that car going down the road i realized what a pretty car it is,one of the best designs in the 90's that was penned by GM,and still looks unique and fresh nearly 15years after its inroduction.The fact it caught my wifes eye impressed me.(she could see a Lamborghini and not look twice)

Have a friend who is infested by Auroras and is a very nice car that gets surprisingly good gas milage and has lotsa buttons. But it is a four-door and has a V-8 that prefers premium. Personally, if such were necessary, suspect I'd look for a LeSabre or an Intrigue (had both often as rentals and were very comfortable).

As to the late Riv, it absolutely must have the trunk handle. Also I never have liked fat a**ed cars from 36 Fords to 57 Sunliners to the current Lexus roadster.

Further, only those with the L-67 are liable to become interesting but a driver should run on regular.

But then am spoiled, why settle for a four seater when you can seat seven in comfort ?

My wife owned a 96 and I a 97 Riviera as daily drivers before I retired....fantastic driving cars (I like the look of the carp's mouth backend!). Like anything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We moved on to 2 late model eldorados (have never and will not ever buy any 4 door car). Upon retirement, I started collecting '92 Rivs to restore. I think the slantback rear shape is a great design. As for Riviera respectability, no Riv design from 74-78 and 86-99 gets the same respect as those from 63-70 and 79-85.

Be aware though, 95-99 Rivs are gaining popularity at our annual ROA meets and there is the Riviera Performance forum that's mostly dedicated to these yrs Rivs...quite a few members and for the most part young folks in their 20's and 30's.

I agree with Barney that the back of the '95=99 Riv looks bad ... until you hang a spoiler on it. A guy in my church did that and it really dresses it up.

Also BJM is right. For some of us the Reatta is a craze. I comb salvage yards all the time, as a matter of fact when on vacation I look for a u-pick to go to so I can see if there is anything I can use...

That's nuts! confused.gif

I had a 1997 Aurora with the Autobahn pkg. That was by far the nicest car I ever owned. I had to dump it when it was starting to cost 500.00 every time I had a problem. Fuel pump/sending unit, Headlight switch. A/C Compressor, Plus the infamous "Baby Northstar" head bolt problem. It was fast, comfortable, sharp looking. I still miss it.

The 95-99 Riviera back end reminds me of the back of the 48 Buicks. The front end sort of reminds me of a turtle, and overall I like the styling of these cars. They are a nice car to drive, and kind of fun with the supercharged version. I was surprised when they were discontinued and not replaced with an updated model.

Guest THEHKP7M13

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JalopyBob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I was surprised when they were discontinued and not replaced with an updated model. </div></div>

I think that is part of their allure. They have lived the same fate as a Reatta. Although it keeps being mentioned that a Riveria nameplate might surface again, althought it appears it would be in China prior to the U.S.A. GM's current finances probably don't help.

Guest F14CRAZY

I personally think those Rivi's were beautiful, and as mentioned also the '95-99 Aurora. Plenty of performance to be gained with the L67.

I've come up with a liking for LeSabres as of recent though

l_de3a830aeddf4c298304ad22c42f4d83.jpg

l_0e46af2a7f9743cc87f8a74edd5cadfb.jpg

l_77766691184b435dbc01a61a7e3ef6cc.jpg

(before the rally wheels...that's Brian's/CL_Reatta's Miata)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Booreatta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 1984 Riviera Convertible has not increased in value. It is a beautiful car and rides great. Only 54000 miles and the values keep going down. I think they are better looking than the last generation cars. </div></div>

I agree the 79-85 Rivieras are better looking then the last gen Rivieras BUT BOTh are unique and high end cars IMO, not a matter of choosing one over the other.

Almost bought a 1965 Riviera GS years ago but that and the 73 boattail (more subtle than 71-72) are the only ones I find attractive. We have so many years and styles to choose from, why settle ?