Water Wetter

AVS619

Does anyone have any experience using the product Water Wetter in a brass era car with thermosyphon cooling. My 1909 Regal runs just a little too hot. Race car friends have recommeneded Water Wetter as it will allow the engine to run cooler but, does it work without a water pump? Has anyone tried this product in a brass era car and, if so, were the results favorable? Thank you. Tom

I used this product in my model t and it never overheated, but it never ran hot before ethier. I have used it in racing and friends motorhomes and it worked great. In my model T I used it with stright water no coolant. Coolant raises the boiling point and can cause a thermosyphon system not to start circulating until a much higher temp. I would try it and if it dosen't work the worst thing that could happen is your out 8 bucks or what ever it cost now at days. Also make sure you cooling system is up to snuff, Check the radator flow, the block isn't filled with sludge or anything else that could cause your problem. Remember the car wasn't made to overheat it dose that because something is most likely wrong.

Guest maxihc

If it has new pistons what kind? You may have to knurlize them to carry the oil if they are not ground right. I had that problem on a model 10 Buick.

Thank you for our replies. One of the problems we had with this car is that when the rear cylinder block was cast one of the holes for coolant between cylinders 3 and 4 was plugged at the time of the casting and it was never found, at least not until last year. That has been opened so I hope there will be a big difference in heat transfer now. We do have new aluminum pistons in the car but no problem there. I just wanted the car to run a little cooler on tours and Water Wetter was recommended but perhaps I should leave well enough alone. Now, how does this stuff work on an old car with a water pump? Tom

Water Wetter will work just fine on a car with a pump. If you have some time on your hands and want to do an experiment try this, put a pot of water on the stove and turn it on high. You will notice small bubbles forming on the bottom just before it boils, this is what is happening in your engine. Those bubbles look inocent enof but what they are doing is keeping the water from contacting the metal causing it to basicly be insulated and limmiting heat tranfer. Now let the pot cool and put some Water Wetter in there and stir it up and then turn on the heat the bubbles should not be there or be reduced. So at this point the heat transfer is greater causeing it to run cooler. So that is how the magical liquid works.