MG

Guest austincar6

Guest austincar6

I was looking at a 1973 MGB today.I have little knowledge of MG. I noticed on this car, it has one Zenith Carb on it. Looking around some of the MG Club web sites, I noticed that most cars had two SU Carbs. Is this something that is common to find? or a change so you would not have to tune two carbs?

Guest Tarheel

The earlier MGs did have two SUs, the later ones had a single Zenith Stromberg. The later carb is larger and delivers an equal amount of fuel. The change occurred at the time of the increased emission controls regulations, and the Zenith has some internal controls for emissions, so emission tuning is probably what dictated the change.

The Zenith Stromberg carbs, and parts are plentiful.

Guest austincar6

Where is the best place to get parts for MG?

The Lucas wiring in these car give MG people any problem?

I understand Lucas wiring always has been a problem in British cars.

The twin SU's on MGBs were replaced by a single Zenith-Stromberg 175CD carb <span style="text-decoration: underline">in 1975</span>. If you're looking at a true 1973 with a single carb it has almost certainly had it's engine replaced with a later car's. It's possible that someone may have replaced the manifold/linkage/carb/etc. with that of a newer car, but it's very unlikely. There was a decided drop in horsepower with the change.

Most likely what you're looking at is a later model car that was retrofitted to 1973 standards. The 1973 chrome bumpers were the last of what most people think are the most attractive of the MGBs. Also in 1975 the car's ride height was increased by 1.5 inches to meet bumper height requirements, which really played hell with the handling. Refitting these cars back to earlier standards was a common practice when they were new. Also, if the car was ever from a state with annual inspections, it may have been necessary to retitle it as a 1973 as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is the best place to get parts for MG?

</div></div>

This is a question best asked of the members of a marque club. The North American MGB Register is by far the largest club for this car. I'd post a link to their web site, but it's LOADED with severely irritating pop-ups, some of which erase the page you're on already. (I've had to reloaad this page 3 times now.)

The largest MG parts supplier is Moss Motors. Victoria British is another major supplier. I've only bought Triumph bits from these guys, but my best experiences have always been with The Roadster Factory, a Triumph outfit that branched into MGB parts about 10 years ago. All three sell new and reproduction parts in numbers pretty much any other car owner would envy. I'm usually happiest with the quality of TRF's stuff. smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Lucas wiring in these car give MG people any problem? </div></div>

Yes.

However, it's nothing that can't be overcome with good preventive maintenance. The key is to keep your connections clean, and keep spares of whatever you can.

Dave is right on with his reply to your questions. The MG is a fun car to drive and simple to maintain. We've put thousands of miles on our early 74 MGBGT since restoration was finished in 07. Just did 750 miles round-trip to the meet in Charlotte NC and we're looking for another good run out to the western part of Va at the end of April on our club's winery tour. Dave is right also about Joe Lucas, commonly known as the prince of darkness. Clean connections and good grounds are answers to 99% of electrical troubles on most any British car.

Terry

post-30751-143138063308_thumb.jpg