Console lights INOP

Guest steveskyhawk

Guest steveskyhawk

The back lighting on the gear selector, window switch, and mirror switch don't light up on my 89. Everything else illuminates as it should. Is there a common thread with these three things. The inverter in the console maybe? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I generally use the 9v battery test sequence, touch the connectors to your tongue, and see if it tastes HOT.

crazy.gif

All kidding aside, check for latent old spill damage to main connector(s) under the ashtray/cupholder area. Disconnect all connectors, clean with QD.

I'm sure Pagett will chime-in with a test for you, all the inverters may be bad. I may have some.

First, everyone with a Reatta needs the factory service manual. 89, 90, & 91 have been scanned and are available for free download from www.reatta.net 89 can be used for 88 cars.

It is a good idea to go through sections 5E, 6, and 8 just to become familiar with everything. For eample the inverter schematic is in 8A-88

c1 (gray) is 12v, b (black)is ground, a (white) and c (blue)are 110v

The inverter is variable so if you put 9v on the input you shoud get about 85vac on the output. This is how it dims.

BTW the OEM (or one of) is still in business but I have not checked to see if replacements are available. GM part number 1642274 (black) or 1642275 (pink)

Endicott Research Group, Inc.

2601 Wayne Street

Endicott, NY 13760

Phone: 800.215.5866

http://www.ergpower.com/

post-31022-143138062324_thumb.jpg

Guest steveskyhawk

FOR the common good. Today i followed Pagett's advice and tested 9 inverters. 2 tested NG. 1 tested about 80 vac. The other 5 produced 120-125 vac. (perfecto!) Fancy equipment not really necessary. When I applied 12 v and grounded the inverters as instructed the FUNCTIONAL units emitted a HIGH PITCH WHINE. The dead ones were silent. Additionally I suspect that both inverters are the same with the exception of the color and the mounting stud attached to the salmon colored one that is in the dash. My console lights still dont work but i can now eliminate the inverter being the cause.

Padgett...... I contacted the Endicott company several years back. They made the parts but only had one of the 2-3 different part numbers available. They would not even talk about selling me a few, they wanted to sell all they had

They had something like 75 on the shelf and wanted to sell me all of them. The failure rate did not seem to be worth the effort plus I thought they wanted too much, but don't exactly remember...something like $15 each.

Why would there be different part numbers? Would they have different outputs? I have seen them with the pink cover and a light blue cover.

Ronnie: sure

Barney: Maybe we should be putting together a consortium to buy up remaining stocks of these parts. Thoughts ?

BTW pink ones go under the dash, black under the console. Odd part is that the 12v power goes through each of the light ssets in series - must have made sure the inverter could not turn on without the proper load but is something to check - each light must be connected for any to work.

Just got a reply from Endicott, sounds like availability is good (for the moment). Am asking if there is an electrical difference:

The price for 1-4 pieces of 01642274 or 1642275 is $100.00 (our minimum order).

The price for 5-9 pieces of 01642274 or 1642275 is $22.29 each.

The price for 10-24 pieces of 01642274 or 1642275 is $19.28 each.

We have several pieces of both part numbers in stock that can be shipped quickly. The lead time to build new parts is 5-7 weeks after booking your order (we build-to-order). Shipping charges are additional.

Guest steveskyhawk

Guys, i have done everything that everyone suggested. Cleaned all connections. Verified inverter function. Still nothing. I turned the parking lights on an checked for voltage at the inverter input. Nothing. Any suggestions? I'm running out of things to try.

Well if you would RTFM, section 8A-88 shows the power comes from the IPC, travels in series through the three light sections, and then gets to the inverter. If the inverter is not getting power then you need to backtrace the circuit with a DVM. I suspect the problem is probably in the console lid wiring.

Guest steveskyhawk

I think I found the problem. I RTFM as Pagett recommends. I used my DVM and the voltage seemed to come up to the window switch as the schematic says but no farther. Had the switches all loose with the meter hooked to the power and ground at the inverter. When i squeezed the window switch voila! Voltage at the inverter. Ordered a new switch and will keep you all posted.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Drake

Update:

I just ordered 4 inverters from Endicott (2ea. #1642274 console & 2ea. #1642275 dashboard).

They also gave me the specs for the two. The main difference between the two inverters is the input current, and the output frequency. Minor differences because of the size of the electro-luminescent strips they power.

I was also told they should not be interchanged, and when testing, they should be powered up with a load on them.

I will update when I receive them.

Guest Drake

Got home from work, and found UPS had delivered the inverters I ordered. They are exactly the same as the originals. The pink (dashboard) units even have the plastic mounting tabs.

The folks I delt with at Endicott could'nt have been more helpful. Very pleased with my purchase.

My total cost was $100.00 for the four inverters and $8.64 shipping.

• 4 years later...
Guest Furman83

Drake,

I know it has been years since this post, but can you tell me the specs for each? I inquired about these yesterday and they said that the 1642274 is replaced by 1642275. I found this strange. are they interchangeable?

Guest Furman83

Thank you, I have some black, but Whine. I understand that the Pink(75) AND Black(74) are different. hope to find out what the differences are. I replaced both inverters with Pull a parts, but I'm sure they will go in time. Trying to be proactive and Purchase the Pink ones and try to figure out something for the Black. Is there a web site that can tell me all of the GM cars that used 1642274 and 1642275's. Reatta and Rivs are hard to come by in the yards, hopping some Cadillac, or other GM models that used these.

Thanks for help