Buying a second Reatta.

DAVES89

I told Jim Finn that I was looking for a 1989 Black/Tan that I would want for a second Reatta. Jim said he knew of a '89 Black/Gray that I should not pass up. So based on his word and the pictures I saw from the owner, it was too good a deal to pass up.

I will be traveling to the guru's [Jim] house in Duluth to close the deal. I never thought I would own two of the same cars at the same time, but I guess there is always a first...

Thanks Jim!

These cars will one day increase in value, but I must be a sloooooow learner. Both cars will be '89's [most common year] and what I would think is the most common color combination. I think the red/tan will be my summer daily driver and the black/gray will be the winter one. And only because I have more money and a sun roof in the red/tan.

Guest THEHKP7M13

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAVES89</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> These cars will one day increase in value, but I must be a sloooooow learner. Both cars will be '89's [most common year] and what I would think is the most common color combination. I think the red/tan will be my summer daily driver and the black/gray will be the winter one. And only because I have more money and a sun roof in the red/tan. </div></div>

Red is a my favorite color, so save that one. Why do you want ot expose one of these rare cars to salt and snow though? I am sure there are plenty of good beater for about $1,000 or so.

It's started as a kind of thinning the herd. We have an Audi,Roadmaster,minivan and the Reatta. Too many cars for just 2 drivers [2+ car garage, 1 car driveway,and a boat. I do have free storage for one car in the summertime and then the boat in the wintertime].

I sold the Roadmaster [which was my winter car] thinking I could use the minivan as a winter car. I hate driving the minivan, so I have just sold it. I found this black/gray Reatta thru Jim and I am going to drive it as a winter car. I am in sales and need a car that looks good. I can't drive a beater.

Here in Wi. we pay only $50.00 lifetime for your second collector plate, so I save on licensing as well as not having full coverage [which we had on the minivan.

Your gain is that ultimatly there will be one less Reatta on the road, which will bump up the value of all our remaining Reattas.

There is no reason that a "beater" cannot also be interesting or unattractive, it just needs to be inexpensive and disposable.

Years ago I always looked for upscale cars for "beaters" because in general they had been gently used, maintained, and had a/c (cars with a/c also had better heaters)

Dave just wants a backup car, so he can drive a reatta forever, great idea.

Really ate-up Reatta collectors have 5, or maybe 10 of them lying around, I've heard(herd).

Im going to check out 4 for sale, maybe get one, or two for daily driver cars. If any of y'all want a red, white or black one, I'll hook 'ya up with details, after I goto inspect them all, in upper midwest area, next weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Red is a my favorite color, so save that one. Why do you want ot expose one of these rare cars to salt and snow though? I am sure there are plenty of good beater for about $1,000 or so.

</div></div>

I can send you details on a nice red/tan Reatta, so you can

CHANGE YOUR SIGNATURE PHOTO!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEHKP7M13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Red is a my favorite color, so save that one. Why do you want ot expose one of these rare cars to salt and snow though? I am sure there are plenty of good beater for about $1,000 or so. </div></div>

Please <span style="font-weight: bold">CHANGE YOUR SIGNATURE PHOTO!</span> It is very annoying.

This IS the Reatta discussion forum.

ONLY Reattae should be added to signatures, anything else is SCARELIDGE, and the poser(poster) tarred-n-feathered!!

Y'know, all your posts, forever will have that CHEVY in them.

Seems silly for a BUICK REATTA forum, does'nt it?

Go get that red/tan drop-top, in Seattle- before Daniel does!

Hopefully, it is assembled on the fly so if you change your profile, all posts will change. Know the atavar works that way.

BTW if you want a "beater" that is useful, 92-95 GM Minivans with 3800s are very inexpensive right now, are economical, can carry a lot, and have an ideal replacement drivetrain for a Reatta.

I didn't know that I would hit the "hot" button on driving a Reatta in the wintertime.

There are lots of people driving their Reatta fulltime. I am choosing to do that as well...

BTW when you change your signature or avatar it changes all the way back. Every so often I check up on someones prior posts to get a feel for what they have gone thru on their car,etc...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAVES89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't know that I would hit the "hot" button on driving a Reatta in the wintertime.

There are lots of people driving their Reatta fulltime. I am choosing to do that as well...

BTW when you change your signature or avatar it changes all the way back. Every so often I check up on someones prior posts to get a feel for what they have gone thru on their car,etc... </div></div>

I'll do you one better on the winter Reatta. Mine is not only driven in the winter - its driven by my son in the winter.

As far as beaters go, mine needs to be pretty darn reliable, as I drive, on average, about 175 miles per day. I'm hoping to find a nice summer daily__and will drive my (et-em) Scion xB through the winters. Heck, it only has 184,000 miles on it. My Reatta has 160,000 or so.

The xB is great for what I do - but it has to be about the worse late-model highway car ever built. Road noise (but I buy winterish tires and run them all year), wind noise, engine noise, terrible ride, and terrible highway gas mileage. I get about 37 mpg average, but if I were to run the highway it would drop a good 4 or 5 mpgs. 3,000 rpm is not conducive to gas saving.

Interesting, the xA my ex-wife had got 29 mpg around town with the a/c on all of the time and 37-38 at 70+. When I drove it usually got a few mpg more.

"Sufficient" accelleration and every toy imaginable though at the time I had to add the RKE and cruise myself.

(ob. Reatta) Of course xA vs xB is like Reatta vs TranSport - same powertrain but different packages.

Guest dpannell

Dave Congrats on your 2nd Reatta.....Now you're going to need a parts car or two, and a bigger garage for all of em!

Dave

Thanx 4 the kind words, Dave!

I'm considering gettin' a daily driver soon. Panikmekanik drove "Bambi-Killer" straight thru the first 2 winters she had it, leaving her 4x4 Kia Sportage for sale, on the curb. She felt safer, and more confident in her Reatta then ever in that Kia. The Sportage sat thru the winter, then sold-short later that spring. She was happy to see it go, and never looked back.

Black Beauty is a different story, she's only been driven in Winter, (Winter, WI), ONCE!

RoadsidesingageWinterWI2007005.jpg

This trip and photo were taken in September, in the place of Panikmekanik's birth. This little town is sooo far north, they call it "Winter" there year 'round!

Tomorrows the big day to go get the '89 black/gray. I thought I had everything taken care of. Thought I would check the license plate of the tow vehicle...

EXPIRED

Went on line and renewed for a year [selling this car in 2 days]. If I get pulled over at least I won't get a fine!

BTW in Wisconsin I can transfer the plates over at no cost. It just means I can wait another year for my second set of collector plates.

It's a very nice car for the money I spent on it. It has a couple of issues;

1] Sagging headliner [Tutorial on Ronnie's website]

2] Power steering pump is leaking

3] Nuetral safty switch is bad

4] It needs a power attenna [i have one in inventory]

Wayne[the previous owner removed the amp and didn't hook the speaker wires back up, so I have a little rewiring to do].

The car is a southern car and has no rust. Has a fresh paint job that needs to be buffed out. Also has a lot of new parts [stuts, strut mounts, accumulator, alternator, plugs, wires and maybe an oxygen sensor]as well as a very nice interior.

I think Wayne was very fair in his price and I thank him for the car as well as Jim for bird dogging for me.

Seeing that I brought up Jim, Wayne and I met at Jims place. I was very impressed by the amount of inventory he carries for us to help keep our cars running.

We all owe him a big thank you for what he does for us.

Thanks Jim!!

Hi, Dave. Re your neutral safety switch, I thought mine was bad, but it turned out to be the nss relay. Relay is mounted under the dash just above the parking brake release lever. There are 2 relays up there, don't remember which is what. The NSS looks like a PITA to replace. Good luck, ..... Jim

Actually I went back and read thru Waynes posts [he is Snowdrift]. Turns out the problem is not the safety switch, but a wiring issue involving the secuity items. Now that I know what the issue is, I am choosing not to replace the security, but to leave well enough alone.

I have driven the car most of this week and it appears to be a solid car.

I am sure to get good service out of it.

I did take off the steering wheel cover and I discovered that I have a very nice gray wheel, with the sunburst Reatta center. If anyone is interested please PM me. I went out to the local u-pick yard and got a perfect wheel from a Lumina Eurosport. I found a Buick Trishield that fits perfectly into the Lumina's centerpiece so I am going that way.

So far $10.00 in a steering wheel, $60.00 in a redone headliner, and Seafoam in the plenum.

Next up recharge of the r-134 freon, hooking up the stereo, cleaning the IAC, and coil pak upgrade.