Sort of the Mother of All Ads, these large, <span style="font-style: italic">LIFE</span> gatefold pieces appeared annually in <span style="font-style: italic">Automotive News</span>.

60_lifex_153541.jpg

Larger, click once after opening.

62_lifex_978614.jpg

Larger

63_lifex_537992.jpg

Larger

65_lifex_453015.jpg

Larger

66_lifex_175340.jpg

Larger

Measuring a whopping 32"x15", they make great conversation pieces.

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Here are two that I like, featuring collie dogs (the first one I think I scanned from the most recent AA issue--sorry I don't have it in front of me right now to give proper credit):

PackardAdWithCollieOvrllCrpEnh.jpg

ItsAStopperBottomImgCrpEnh.jpg

Credit due also to our former AACA Librarian Kim Miller for her excellent article on collies in old car ads, as published in the March/April 2008 issue of Antique Automobile.

UPDATE: Ah, I was able to find a copy of that Kim Miller article, which appeared on page 17 of that particular AA issue (Mar/Apr '08), and she did indeed feature that same Packard ad--but it was not reproduced in color, as it is in this most recent (I believe) AA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stock_steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...featuring collie dogs (the first one I think I scanned from the most recent AA issue--sorry I don't have it in front of me right now to give proper credit)...</div></div>

UPDATE: Found my AA issue where the great Packard ad was published--see page 96 of the March/April 2009 issue. Credit ("Vintage ads courtesy of") is given to Lloyd M. Kerr of Parker, Texas.

Reduced down to the simplest component, a motorcar illustrated on an unusual background,

<span style="font-style: italic">highly</span> collectible, these "Golden" ads from <span style="font-style: italic">Fortune</span> also appeared in the <span style="font-style: italic">SatEvePost,

Town & Country, Collier's, Country Life</span>, and a few others.

40_darrin_ad_1_318940.jpg

Larger

40_darrin_sedan_1_882437.jpg

Larger

41_darrin_1_216330.jpg

Larger

The last, for me at least, is one of the <span style="font-style: italic">ne plus ultra</span> ads of all time.

They've been discussed previously, here.

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Thanks Len,

They wouldn't fit on my scanner, so I took high-res pix with the digital. I use a free program called XnView to downsize, sharpen and adjust contrast/brightness (our Gallery only allows 500kb or less; most of mine are in the 300-480kb range). When you post pix to the Gallery, it auto-reduces them to universal size, but it's still available in both larger and small versions (plus the thumbnail).

Using UBBCode, do the .... thing (inserting the copied image properties in place of the....)

http://photos.aaca.org/data/504/medium/41_Darrin_1.jpg

Then, use the Larger thing, but removing the "medium/" and insert

http://photos.aaca.org/data/504/41_Darrin_1.jpg again, in place of the dots (which I used just so you could see what to type). Remember to remind folks to click once to enlarge after opening the larger image.

Got it? Good. Give it a whirl, you'll like the results!

TG

Guest Leonard Shepherd

I am not sure how to find the UBB code on the AACA album. I put this ad on Photobucket, and when I click on "LARGER" it gets smaller.

29Studebakeradcrop-1.jpg

Larger

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest CarAdMan

I've been collecting Antique Auto Ads & Articles for over 20 years. You can't see the walls of my office for the automobilia. I have over 20,000 ads and am constantly adding more. I often come up with duplicates, so if you're looking for an ad of your particular auto, email me year, make, model and any other details of the car you want. I'll email you scans of what I have available. Prices are low, I'm in it for the hobby, not to get rich. - Just an old gearhead - RICK

post-59657-143138090668_thumb.jpg

post-59657-143138090672_thumb.jpg

post-59657-143138090675_thumb.jpg

post-59657-143138090678_thumb.jpg

post-59657-14313809068_thumb.jpg

post-59657-143138090682_thumb.jpg

post-59657-143138090686_thumb.jpg

post-59657-143138090689_thumb.jpg

post-59657-143138090691_thumb.jpg

post-59657-143138090693_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest ashoka

Nice car !! Thanks for showing a new model of a car. If anyone required industrial gears then come to Ashoka Group, the India's leading gears manufacturers and gears suppliers. Here you will get all type of quality gears at competitive rates. We serves industrial gears to almost every industries.