T C Porthole Windows

Guest John W

Guest My TC Toy

Why don't you try making repairs to the old ones, since you have to remove them anyway to replace them?

Guest d_voitel

There's a place in Arizona that has a lot of TC parts. I've purchased a couple of things from him with no problems.

The web site is:

www.tcparts.com

Good hunting. The last time I looked around (last summer), they were about $250.00 each for good ones.

Hi John,

If you are going to replace them; why not try to repair them.

I put it that way because They are old glass and when you start fooling around with old glass it has a habit of cracking when you least expect it.. If you replace the porthole glass with good originals and park in the sun, they also will probably cloud or wrinkle/bubble also.

I have had good luck with this method. I have an old white plastic windshield sealer tool it's about 6" long 1/2" wide & 1/4" thick Tapers at both ends. I use this to help seperate the 2 glass halves. (never touch them with metal) I use one of those reflector lights with a 100 watt bulb to heat the glass This softens the plastic film that seperates the 2 pieces of glass (with the gold pentrident insignia). Then I use that plastic tool with slight pressure moving it around the complete perimiter. you will feel the glass loosen, then I use a suction cup on the outer domed glass and "Whalla". I never remove the inner glass, I clean both mating surfaces with Alcohol, then Simple Green Then Alcohol again. I use light windshield tint as the seperator between the 2 pieces of glass . I have a friend that makes signs using that new vinyl cutout system. He makes me a new pentrident with a gold pentagon and a silver trident. I have done 7 windows 6 came out like they were planned. I cracked the outer glass in 1. that's why the odd number. Good Luck, Lou

Guest Majmx

Lou;

It would sure be great if you would put a book together with all your great ideas on how to repair items on our TC's.

After reading the post above I know I would like to purchase one if you decide to have one printed.

Have a great weekend.

Cheers,

Bob Steele

TC America

Guest My TC Toy

Bob,

There already is one, a manual that is. If you are a member of TC America Inc, as yoy indicate, surely you must be aware of the invaluable information found in the 68 TC America newsletters. On opera window glass there is two articles on removal and 13 articles on general info.

If you are not aquainted with this club, contact them at www.chryslertcbymaseraticlub.com.

Check it out.

B

Hey Bob,

Hemi, Alan, and a couple of other guys here have the real knowledge. I just have some, and possibly a better way of explaining. ~ also ~ I do belong to TC America Club and Karleen (Pres. & CEO) has copied this repair in one of them recemntly. Good Luck, Lou

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LouZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Bob,

Hemi, Alan, and a couple of other guys here have the real knowledge. I just have some, and possibly a better way of explaining. ~ also ~ I do belong to TC America Club and Karleen (Pres. & CEO) has copied this repair in one of them recemntly. Good Luck, Lou </div></div>

Ha, I'm just the drivetrain guy, I don't think I've done half the 'fix it stuff' on my cars that you have. I liked you window removal piece BTW. I've only pulled a few out in junkyards and cracked one myself blush.gif

Alan

Guest My TC Toy

Lou,

My comment was not directed to you but to Bob Steele, as per my note. I am well aware you are a member of TC America, but there was some doubt whether Bob was and it certainly did not seem he was aware of the information contained in the newsletters.

Guest Majmx

Hello B and Lou;

Just to let you know I am a member of the TC America, however I have been a member for just 18 months and do not have all the back issues of the newsletters. I will be purchasing them later this year.

Cheers,

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had good luck with this method. I have an old white plastic windshield sealer tool it's about 6" long 1/2" wide & 1/4" thick Tapers at both ends. I use this to help seperate the 2 glass halves. (never touch them with metal) I use one of those reflector lights with a 100 watt bulb to heat the glass This softens the plastic film that seperates the 2 pieces of glass (with the gold pentrident insignia).</div></div>

Much simpler to put the window in a cold oven and heat it to around 300F for 10-15 minutes. Then the two halves just about fall apart. To put them back together, get some Loctite epoxy made specifically for glass bonding, I have the part number somewhere, no need for a plastic sandwich. Looks like new when done:

standard.jpg

Hi, Thanks for your input. Looks great. ~ But ~ My procedure does it while it is still on the car without touching the headliner, lou

Guest John W

Thanks to those who responded to my question about correcting porthole glass problem...great suggestions. By the way, we have had the car for 2 weeks, joined the T C club last week and received the newsletter on past articles on various issues relatiing to the cars. I do have a new question. The hard top pull down system does not function, can anyone provide some pointers on diagnosing and repairing the problem? thanks, o ce again for you help.

John W

1990 T C

Hi John,

Pull Down = When the built this car they did not expect moisture in that top compartment. They were wrong. I have seen puddles in there. The contacts are not weather proof. 1st thing I would do is pull the unit. 5 studs, 1 nut on each. 1 wire connection. The pull down is adjustable by slots in the bar first check the position of the nuts on the slots and mark them. Remove the assembly turn it over on the workbench and check all the electrical connections/contacts, including the riveted ground on the bottom outside edge in the middle. later models also use this rivet for mounting the silver metal safety relay. Also check the plastic gear housing and the plastic gears. If you need contact us back. There is a procedure for emergency operation in both the blue owners manual and the gold top operating manual. Good Luck, lou

I contacted TC parts and they have them. You can reach them at 926 386 0999. I want to have mine replaced and I went to a shop that does conertable tops, upholstery and van conversions. I also have a small area of the liner that is drooping and would like to have it repaired or replaced. The shop was concerned about how to remove the liner and get to the port holes to do this work. Does anyone have any info that I could tell them about how to do this job ? I cannot do the work myself.

Thanks,

ma

Hey Ma,

Back up thru these pages. I am almost possitive this forum is where I saw a post that explained how to: in very complete detail. Good Luck, Lou