401 Nail Head 64 Riviera

Rivieraman

There were a few '64s produced with the 401 engine, so it is possible that this is what he has. It is more likely that it is a 425 and he just assumed that it was a 401. You can tell by looking at the engine code on the block deck, behind the water manifold.

Jim

Now you have me wondering. I always thought that 401 production dominated Buick nailhead numbers from 1963 to 1966. I thought the 425 engine was optional in all years and as we know, optional usually means lower production as it is extra cost and not always requested.

Does anyone have numbers breakout for 401/425 production in 1964 Rivieras? I had a 64 Riviera with the 425. I had a 64 Electra with 425 and a 64 Electra with 401.

I can only imagine that by having the 401 as the standard engine in '65, Buick could offer two separates engine options; the 425 w/single 4bbl and the 425 Super Wildcat. The article in Evolution of the Riviera for the '65 model states "For reasons unknown..." Any other thoughts anyone?

Ed

Ed et all,

I think "for reasons unknown" is as good an answer as any! Sometimes decisions like this are market driven, i.e. what was Ford offering in the Thunderbird? Was it a supplier issue with only a certain nmuber of 425 piston rings able to be produced per year by the vendor? Actual production cost between a 401 and 425 have to be within a few cents, but it may have been an accounting decision based on that difference. Fun to speculate, but we most likely will never know for sure!

Thanks,

Tim