J-2 Option

Guest markmand

What is the difference (if any) between the 300hp and 312hp versions of the 371 with J-2 option? How can I tell by looking at the engine? Thanks!

The 312 hp version has/had a solid lifter cam with adjustable rockers. the rocker covers are dimpled to allow for the extra height needed for those rocker arms. Outside of that I'm not sure of any other difference. you will have a very difficult time seeing one as few were produced and were used in racing, nascar I'm told. Folks that have been around longer than I have said they've seen none or maybe one. I've heard of 2. Authentic?? The Feb 57 Hot rod has one on the front cover in color. 300 hp is what you see in cars for sale, intakes-carbs on ebay. I have a 300hp/smooth rocker covers J2 in a 57 2dr 88 coupe. Have 2-3 extra intakes I've accumulated.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it just me, or what? In attending car shows and reading <span style="font-style: italic">Hemmings</span> every month, it sure seems like there are a lot more J-2 equipped Olds around now than there were back in 1957? Back then, one noticed them because they were unusual. Now, everyone and their brother seems to have one!

Guest Bob Call

Dave Y

I agree, and, what about tri5 Chevys? Back in the day every hot rod had a 48 Merc engine. If that was right Ford made more 48 Mercs than all other brands of 48 cars.