37 Zephyr transmission leak

Guest german37zephyr

Guest german37zephyr

Hi all,

after all the rebuilding not only did I have a leak on the engines rear end (oil pump cover) which is easy to fix (got the tranny back out... No, my bigger concern is, that the tranny is leaking out front and back through those shafts, that have no seal at all. It's not too much but I don't like that. I'm having 90 oil in it now. Can I go to a thicker oil (e.g. 140)? Or is there an easy way to cover up those leaking shafts? It would be nice to do something now, since I have the tranny back out.

Any help is really appreciated, since I have to get the car certified for the road and when I go there, they don't like stuff dripping.

Thanks in advance, Kay.

Hey -

The* original* '37 main bearing retainer (part 7050) on the front of the tranny had a "slinger style" system for spinning oil back into the transmission. You should (like I did) upgrade it to a later style one which will accept an oil seal. I believe the newer style ones are readily available. Good luck!

Kay, if you mean the leak is at either end of the counter shaft this is a common problem. Sometimes a new counter shaft may fit tight enough if the case isn't worn too much. Some of the Ford guys will turn a "O" ring groove on either end of the shaft and install "O"rings. Because you have to thread the counter shaft thru the bearings in the cluster gear I think you would have to put the groove very near the end of the forward end of the shaft, drive the shaft a little past the case ( in front) ,then install O-ring and tap the shaft back. The placement of the groove at the rear is also important as you really don't want the installed O ring to go past the countershaft bore during this operation.

I have had luck using a dab of permatex at either end of the shaft. Just before the ( dry, clean) shaft enters the (dry, clean) case at the front I coat the bore with sealer and also apply sealer to the shaft at the rear and then drive it into place. Good luck

Guest german37zephyr

Hi Peecher and CBoz, thanks for your reply, yepp, the counter shaft and reverse shaft are the problem. I will try the sealer method for now. Can I go with thicker oil?

Kay.

Guest german37zephyr

Hi Peecher, thanks. I'll be using green 140 oil. Yep, I sealed them yesterday using the incredible loctite 680 bearing sealant. Let's see, how it works. I won't be driving in frosty weather anyway since we don't get that kind of weather here in northern Germany. I'll post, if it worked!

Kay.