’63 Riv Posi Service

Guest ZombyWoof

Guest ZombyWoof

It’s been a while (an embarrassingly long time) since the rear end has been opened up and inspected. There’s a local shop that specializes in rear ends, met the owner at his display the Vancouver Auto Show, asked if his shop would know what it was doing if I rolled in for inspection one day, says he knows what to do and what fluids to use. Question: What <span style="text-decoration: underline">should</span> he be looking for while things are opened up, and what fluids should he be using?

ZW,

Don't go there! If this guy doesn't know that you have a removable third member, then I would look elsewhere. If you just need the fluid serviced, most repair shops can suck out your old gear lube and install new. If the posi has issues, sometimes a flush and fill might be all you need to put things right.

If the posi unit doesn't get better with a simple service, then you may have to go deeper. As there is limited availablity of parts for this rear axle, I would source all the parts before I have any disassembly done. Check over on www.V8Buick.com there are some guys there that seem to have a handle on sources for the clutch plates.

Good Luck,

Tim

Guest ZombyWoof

Thanks, Tim...I didn't even know it had a removable third member, or what such an element is...not quite as informed as the rest of you folks. (Curious...is information he might have volunteered?)

This is a link to the shop, FWIW...

http://www.iwerearendsonly.com

Car is operating fine, no chirping around corners (I was asked if it made that sound), just that it's been a long time since the fluid has been changed, and I have a little fun money coming my way.

If you know for sure the oil was changed at least once.....maybe 20 years ago, you are probably OK to have them suck the old oil out and put new stuff in without pulling the axle apart. They will know by the appearance of the old oil if it needs separated for a thorough flush and clean. Thats the only way to flush it properly. I have seen 40 year old differential lube turn to thick gooey grease like sludge.

On you car, to gain access to the differential the unit must be removed as an assembly along with the front side of the differential housing (carrier). Yes its more involved than taking a cover off but for a shop who specializes in rear end work, they should be able to do it blind folded.

Later model rear ends (66 and up) have a differential cover plate bolted on the back of the axle. The differential unit can be accessed for servicing by taking this cover off as well flushing the housing. These models are a bit easier to service.

Of course each axle shaft must be pulled before the differential can be removed in either case. If you end up going this deep, since the axles are out you may want to have the axle shaft seals replaced. If you have any leakage from the front pinion seal (where the driveshaft connects)this would be a good time to have it replaced.

Having said all that don't let them go any deeper than necessary. If they insist on separating the third member (front carrier housing and differential) make sure you understand why they want to do it and it makes logical sense to you. I am of the opinion its best to not disturb things unless there are hard facts to justify it such as improper functioning, noise, or theres a history of a well known problem area. When things come apart that have not been apart for over 40 years, there can be some surprises.

As Jason said earlier, any qualified shop should be able to handle this fluid change. The 63-65 rearend is the same type as the 9" Ford drop out "pumpkin" of which literally millions were built. The hardest part of the job might be, if they completely remove the third member, finding a new gasket to use when reinstalling it. I haven't had to look for one in 25 years.

For any of you out there just getting started, items such as this rear axle fluid change are best discussed in the Factory Chassis Manual. If you don't have one, that should be the next $50.00 you spend before doing anything else on your car.

If nothing else, you can take it with you to the garage and let the service tech read it. That alone has saved my hide a couple of times and made the purchase price of the book seem a meer pittance to what it saved me in repairs.

Ed