Need help removing rear hubs

ACME Garage

Ok.... I'm trying to remove the rear hubs and axles and have already stripped the screw on my gear puller.

I was able to get one of them off (really, really tough and tore up the drum) and now the axle won't come out....but the other drum is not coming off and I stripped the gear puller in the process.

Is there an easier way, a "special tool" or a trick I'm not aware of ?

Is there a special tool to remove the axle (slide hammer) ?

THanks for any help

Mike

Did you use an "edge" puller or the type that bolts to the lugs? I have never seen a puller get stripped by a drum. Was it made in China? I have pulled many Chrysler product drums, but always with the lug bolt style puller.

Guest imported_Bill-W

Sounds as if you are using a pulley-type puller - three arms with the ends in a hook shape to grasp the edge of the pulley (er, drum).

You need to use a true hub puller. It has three fingers, one end attaches to the centre 'screw' and the other ends are attached to the hub via the hub bolts or nuts. The 'screw' has a large paddle-like attachment that is hit with a big hammer. This turns the screw (which is centred on the end of the axle) and pulls the hub, and not the drum, off the axle.

And that is the major difference. A hub puller uses the hub to pull the drum off and not the drum edges. As the rear drums are literally pressure fit onto the axle and held in place with a small wedge-shaped key, it takes a lot of pressure to pull the hub/drum. Far more than a normal pulley would need.

And thus the stripped screw and damaged drum edges in your case.

Bill

Vancouver, BC