Radio Issue

CReichert

Hi-

My radio has intermittent popping and cracking from drivers side front and back speakers only. Doesn't matter if it's radio or tape player- same results.

Checked antenna connections.

Took out radio, checked connections.

Looked at front tweeter and rear speaker which "appear" to be okay. (no cracks).

Could this be the radio itself or is it definitely the speakers?

Thanks in advance.

CReichert

1990 Claret Coupe

Guest CL_Reatta

Well tweeters very rarely go bad, but it is possible that it is the stereo, I forget what goes bad in them, but I remember there being something that gives those side effects. Someone that knows will pop in.

The 90-91 radio has a common problem with the filter caps on the speaker output. Someone posted pictures of where they are located.

They are very small caps and unless you have a solder sucker I found them very difficult to replace.

Take it to a shop.

Thanks, all.

I found the instructions for replacing the cap's yesterday but I assumed it was only for the 88-89. Sounds like it's also for the 90. I will take the radio out and try this fix. Luckily, I used to assemble circuit boards as a part time job during college so I hope I still got it. I'll let you know how it goes...

CTR

If you examine a 90-91 radio you will see that they took the 88-89 module, slung a tape deck underneath, and stuck a faceplate on the front. I suspect the schematic is almost identical to the one posted on Reatta.Net

Guest daveagain909

I read the instructions on removing the capacitors, and this can be used to clear the holes versus drilling the hole which also works,. There is a thing called a wicking tape which is nothing more than a small copper braided material on a roll that you place over the whole and apply your solder iron to it. The wicking tape pulls the solder from the hole and putts it on the copper braid, you have to have a a unused portion of wicking tape for this to work. This works instead of the need for an expensive solder sucker. I use to be a mfg engineer in a card asm and test dept. in IBM

Guest xerxes

While trying to isolate whether a radio or the other circuitry was bad ia a 1990 convertible, I tried a good working radio out of another 1990 convertible. Once installed, the good radio showed "LOC" in the display and would do nothing. Also, I may now have some static/popping in the good radio since I reinstalled it. Anyone got any ideas on:

1 - What is "LOC" and is it a software/code fix?

2 - Is there any possibility I damaged the circuitry in the good radio?

Thanks!

Guest daveagain909

Is "LOC" a "lock out, theft protection" needing a code from GM or others in the radio business? Are you sure the radio you put in was a factory 1990 91 reatta radio?