T-3 Headlamps/ Reproduction

msmazcol

I see many people searching for T-3 headlamps. Just FYI a company called

Lectric Limited in Bedford Park IL. has reproduction T-3s for sale. They come as a complete set only. They meet all Federal Highway Safety Standards. They are different depending on the year of the vehicle. I installed a set of these in my survivor 69 442. I had one OE burned out. If there is a difference in these I'm not smart enough to find it. They are a dead ringer for what I removed. I did install the complete set to insure a match. I believe this would more than meet the new judging rules on headlamps.

Thanks

www.GMwiring.com

MADE IN THE USA TOO!!!!!!!!!

Yes these are outstanding repros and they are brighter than originals as well which anyone running originals would agree is worth the extra money.

Right now Lectric Limited is selling the 5-3/4" individual hi/low beam bulb individually but only for a limited time. Price is $44 ea. Usually all we need is the low beams so this isn't a bad deal.

So.........If T-3 headlites are readily available new why are they NOT required if originaly installed? Which leads to the question.....If T-3's are not required then WHY are crappy repro batteries required? What say AACA? What is the rational?..........Bob

I really don't think the guys that have the NOS T-3s left want us to even know about the repops. I stumbled on them as I was attempting to improve minor details without ruining the survivor status of my 69 442.

I also purchased two different repo batteries, One for the Olds and one for my fire engine. I cannot comment on their life span yet. I do know the price did make me wiggle a bit.

I would be lying if I said they don't look great under the hood.

The prices of ALL restoration items really explains some of the asking prices for restored cars in my opinion.

• 1 month later...
Guest 70 Electra

The T3 repros are indeed very good: close to original appearance, and brighter than originals.

HOWEVER, they are not the panacea you suggest.

1. Actually, they are fairly easily distinguishable from originals, if you know what to look for, and thus some judging bodies (NCRS) take deductions for them. The construction/appearance of the filament, and a lack of "grinding" marks on the aiming nubs are just a few of the giveaways.

2. There are several varieties of T3s over the years, and not all of the different styles are reproduced. Thus, not every T3 owner can take advantage of the repros.

3. The repros are considerably brighter (and whiter in appearance). For this reason, plus the appearance details, it is not recommended that they be mixed with 'original' T3s on the same car. Thus, you need to step up and buy a full set--not just one at a time.

Having said all of this, I believe they are an excellent product--especially for cars that are actually driven at night. After dealing with my share of expensive NOS T3s that burned out the first time they were turned on, I am convinced the repros are actually a bargain!

As for the second half of your post. AACA requires peroid correct battery. They are not looking so much at the brand name. If you remove the T3 logo, Wagner, Phillps, westingouse word from a sealed beam headlight they look pretty much alike. But obviously they (sealed beams) didn't come on a Model T. Like wise with the battery, a "sealed" maintainance free battery you bought at Pep Boys, Advance, Auto Zone, etc., would obviuosly be out of place on a model A era car with the tar-style battieries, or even like my '63 Chevy II Nova which came with fill caps. Again, what is period correct.