size of nut for Hub Bearing?

Guest blazer1997

Guest imported_blazer1997

Looked at service manual page 3c-8 not able to find what size socket to remove the nub nut.

It states to tighten to 180 ft-lbs.

Going to start with the right front wheel bering hub first see if sound goes away. 1989 buick reatta.

Thanks

General rule of thumb: if sound gets louder in a corner and quieter going straight, it is the outside bearing (80%) if quieter in a corner and can hear on straight, it is the inside bearing (20%). They can be very misleading.

Guest crazytrain2

Thought it worth mentioning you can rent those hub nut sockets at Autozone which after you return, costs you nothing.

BTW I do not care for impact wrenches, seems impossible to tighten accurately. About 1/4" off the end of a 150 lb-ft beam bar is close.

Having been bit by a caliper once, the two inward facing bolts that hold the caliper bracket on (18mm wrench) are one of the few places I use Locktite (blue). GM says to replace any time they come off and ones from GM have a patch of thread sealer on the end.

Guest imported_blazer1997

Thanks for the info on the 36mm. I guess replace both front wheel hubs not able to determine which one is making the noise.

When turning left seems louder. Going to start with right side pass side first?

Again Thanks

Good plan. Fronts seem to go more often than rears.

BTW I usually do not replace the dust cover but if original you push out the back and cut to remove from axle. New one pushes in from front.

That is the 80% probability. 20% is what happened to me last year. Made most noise when going straight ahead and some turning left. Went away on right turn. Even had friend drive alongside and could not tell which side. Turned out to be the left front.

ps my experience is that front wheel bearing whine (not a thump) usually peaks around 45 mph.