Teetor Hartley, Light Inspection, Perfect Circle beginnings

Guest Xprefix28truck

Guest Xprefix28truck

In the picture with the two bikes, the one on the left is Charles Teetor. He founded the campany that later became Perfect Circle. The infant is Ralph Teetor. Ralph created the Cruise Contol, found on cars still today. The picture of the car is Charles Teetor and his family. I am told that he built this car from scratch to put his new engine that he made into.

Guest Xprefix28truck

Perfect Circle had many names; 1895 it was RAILWAY CYCLE MANUFACTURING COMPANY. In 1902 it changed to the LIGHT INSPECTION CAR COMPANY, In 1914 it changed to TEETOR HARTLEY MOTOR COMPANY, In 1918 it changed to INDIANA PISTON RING COMPANY, In 1924 it changed to PERFECT CIRCLE CORPORATION, In 1963 it changed to PERFECT CIRCLE- DANA CORPORATION, and lastly in 1985 DANA ENGINE PRODUCTS. The Hagerstown plant clased 100 years to the day it opened. A sad day in Hagerstown.

Kent,

Very interesting pictures. Thanks for posting.

The second picture looks very much like the 30 hp Teetor Hartley engine as used by American Underslung in their smaller cars. It would probably date to about 1912-13. TH also built the bigger 50 hp 4 cylinder engines for American.

The 6 cylinder McFarlan engine is very similar to the 6 cylinder engine that American and Pilot used in their cars. The difference between the American and McFarlan engines are that the intake manifold is on opposite sides. What is interesting is that TH built a "modular" motor that could be used in different configurations with slight changes. The cylinder block is basically symmetric and can be flipped 180 degrees. Those engines were built in 4 x 6 (452 cu in.) and 4-1/2 x 6 (572 cu in.) configurations. The cylinder block casting are somewhat different but basically the same envelope size. With a couple of small differences either block fits on the same crankcase and uses the same crankshaft, rods, and valve train components.

Alan

The book you probably want to find is "What was the McFarlan?"by Alvin Arnheim about 1964 publish date. He is/was a friend of Keith Marvin, and it was through Keith that I got mine (which I cannot lay hands on at the moment.) The 12 valve engine was I think the model 90 which had a curved radiator a bit like Oldsmobile and some appersons around the same late teens/early 20's. When they moved to the 24valve 6cylinder T-head with triple ignition they changed to a radiator of that popular Grecian arcitectural form but which extended above and beyond the line of the bonnet. You haven't shown a picture of the later engine, so that book may be a way to find one.

Ivan Saxton

• 5 years later...
Guest Brian B

Hi Kent, the stationary engines in the three photos above were called a Square Deal 5 hp, a company called Richmond Standard purchased that section of the light inspection company in 1905. R. S. cast a water hopper onto the top of the housing it was the only main change in design. In the right hand photo you can make out Richmond Standard painted on the side of the frame. I have just about finished restoring a Square Deal should have it running in March 2015. there is a u tube presentation of a Richmond Standard running but hard to find a Square Deal.

I would be interested to contact any one who has knowledge of a S.D. or a R.S. it seems it may be the only one in Australia.

Regards Brian B

Found a copy of this book years ago at a rummage sale, the story of ralph teetor is especialy interesting as he made inventions ( cruise control being one) and was president of perfect circle corporation and he was Blind.

post-100370-143142939253_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
Guest Xprefix28truck

Brian, Sorry for the late reply. In the picture that you are seeing the word Richmond on is actually the words Richmond Div. This railway cart was owned by the RR. The name of the RR is on the left hand side and is hard to read. I have the actual photo. R.S. also built engines at the same time as TH. The only visible difference is the base in the early engines. For all we know they may have purchased castings from R.S. as no date is known for when the first castings were produced by T.H. if ever...

I have a ref (danteblog?) saying T-Hs gas,gasoline and air comp line sold to Standard Company, Richmond, in 1908...

In that context "gas" would be "gaseous" fuels, a desc ranging from NG to sewer gas...

"Standard Company" would probably be Standard Pattern & M'f'g Co, Richmond, IN, which per Iron Age 4-29-09, p1372, had moved and was expanding its plant "Gasoline engines and air compressors will be added to the line"...don't follow farm type engines so didn't verify...

KENT: Have you contacted Mike Shaffer, Knightstown, IN, who posted on smokstak he had an air cooled 1Cyl Light Insp Car co engine and compressor??

Guest Xprefix28truck

Bud, Yes I have known Mike for several years. I own a 1 cylinder air cooled Light Inspection Car Co. engine as well. Mike does indeed own an engine and compressor made by them. 1908 sounds correct. The engine I own, as well as the engine and compressor that Mike owns, all have the same Light Inspection Car tags on them.

Edited by Xprefix28truck (see edit history)