PORCUPINE?? Engine. Watsit?

Iron Wolf

Hi ALL;

I'm new to this forum so bear with me. I collect Hit & Miss engines but occasionally wind up with one that fits into the "Odd & Curious" catagory. Here's one example. I bought this in North Dekota a few years ago and can't seem to put a mfgrs. name to it. I think it may be a Speed-well built in Reading, PA but?????. The carb was a late "T" which I removed and the ignition was also borrowed from a Ford "T" The cam shaft is disconnected from the engine in the picture. The roller runs between the lobes and the rocker arm actuates each exhaust valve in turn. The cooling studs are steel rivets, wrapped with copper wire. Any ideas??

Iron Wolf grin.gifhttp:http:

post-61089-143138059444_thumb.jpg

post-61089-143138059462_thumb.jpg

post-61089-14313805948_thumb.jpg

Thanks West;

Unless this is a very early prototype I am shure it is NOT a Knox. I have spent quite a few hours pouring over material on ,00 to ,10 cars and and the only thing I can find is that Speed-well and I can't find a picture of the engine only a very fuzzy picture of the car. I have a picture of what is supposed to be a four cylinder Speed-well engine but once again it is not clear enough to see if the studs are copper wrapped or even if they are studs or cast as part of the cylinder.I know of a couple of other engines built like this including a power unit to replace the horses on a steam fire pump but none of them use the copper wrapping on the studs like this one has. Please have your friends contact me at ddorece@wi.rr.com Several minds together always work better then one.

Iron Wolf

I've never seen anything like that before, but in Scientific American, 1/30/04, pg 44, there's a brief Knox article. It said about their 16 hp motor that there were 1,760 2-inch, threaded steel pins screwed into each cylinder. It was a double, opposed 5"x7" motor. Different layout but similar pins for cooling.

• 6 years later...