Model 20 photo now with history!

trimacar

I had an electronic copy of this picture (it was on Ebay and I did not win it), noticed that there was a history discussion going on in Waltham (see METZ forum). Emailed the gentleman in charge, expecting a mild or vague response. Instead, much to my pleasure, received the following information about the picture:

"It is 1914 and William H. Nichols at the drivers seat is with his brother on Gifford Street in Waltham. Gifford Street was used to put an apartment house on ten years ago and no longer exist. Gifford Street used to come out to 23 Crescent Street which is one block from Moody Street. The Nichols brothers would move to Woerd Avenue in Waltham and ran a successful machine shop for 75 years, [that business]now a branch of Parker Hanneford on the NY Stock exchange"

In addtion, William Nichols built bicycles at the turn of the century (from the Internet):

"William Nichols of Waltham, MA, built a safety bicycle just before the end of the 19th century. Its dropped top tube frame design was specifically for skirted female riders and its pneumatic tires gave a comfortable ride. By the time of its construction, safety bicycles of this type were relegating the once mighty highwheelers to scrap dealers around the world. The lever operated front brake was a later addition"

Interesting stuff. David Coco Winchester Va.

post-31482-143138059258_thumb.jpg

Yes, it has been noted that such a location for a Prestolite tank is not advantageous to the longevity of the driver! Mine is mounted on the body under the edge of the seat, so at least when it goes, I'll go sidways and not up.