when did fuel level gauges start to be fitted?

gavinnz

Fuel level gauges...

From my understanding in the early days you had a stick to put in tank to see how much gas you had in their...

When did car makers or accessary makers start selling level gauges you could read on the go and what form did they take when?

I have seen a couple with glass tubes on the sides of external tanks but I bet they did not survive the road shocks!

I am asking in relation to a 1915 speedster style car in particluar.

Regards

Gavin

Hi- the Stoddard Dayton I have referenced in previous posts has a factory installed gas guage, and that was 1912. I believe a mechanical guage (i.e. non-electric) would be appropriate on a 1915 speedster.

Gavin,

Trimacar references the '12 Stoddard-Dayton having the guage -- on the other hand, our 1912 Oakland was a nicely equipped Touring Car, and was not equipped with a gas guage. That era may have been the period in time during which the change took place. It was also the time when electric lights replaced carbide, Prestolight, and oil.

My 1915 Buick C-36 has a mechanical gauge mounted on top of the fuel tank. The 1914 B-36 had this also. The only problem is that you have to get out and walk behind the car to read it. Dandy Dave!

The first dash mounted fuel gauge was on the 1914 Studebaker. The first electric gauge was on the Rickenbacker about 1925. It was wired straight to the battery, and it would run down the battery after a week. So they put a button on the dash, you pushed the button to make the gauge work.

Cars had mechanical gauges mounted on the fuel tank, you had to check the gas before you got in the car and see if you had enough for the trip. Cheaper cars still had them in the late 20s.

For your speedster you could put on anything you wanted. Owners of special cars would often dress up the dash with many gauges, lights and accessories.

But if you wanted to be totally authentic it would be air or mechanical operated gas gauge.

I wouldn't be that picky myself. There are modern repro gauges that have an old time look.