????? Anyone notice the change in Antique Automobile?

Yes, I noticed that the club will now be devoted to cars that are newer than 25 years which will make all of our newer cars eligible. That means we can get rid of our old cars and drive something more comfortable to the meets. Also parts availability is much better now.

Those secret board meeting results are now out in the open. Although the decision to hold the annual meeting in Croatia may make it more difficult to attend the meeting. I do applaud holding the Eastern National Fall Meet in Aspen in January instead of October in Hershey will give us more things to do than just sitting around Hershey. We will be able to ski to the flea market spots. I applaud the BOD for this decision although I did not see that in the magazine, but I expect it will be in the next issue.

Guest Tarheel

Yes- noticed the new logo that received bad comments on the new hats and shirts, etc, but like the current administration in Washington, it doesn't matter what the folks think - "Change" is good, and they "know" better.

I assume the next change should be the name from "Antique" Automobile Club of America" to Used Car Automobile Club of America.

Why are you asking peoples opinions if the decision is already made.?

Steve, Since each issue seems to be even more impressive than the previous one, we are getting pretty spoiled. The printing seemed to be have deeper color and appeared more vibrant to me, but I had just worked 7 straight night shifts when I got it, so I thought it was just my eyes playing tricks on me since they had not seen sunlight for over a week.

Steve, the magazine looks better all the time and we probably ARE getting spoiled by that, thanks to all concerned.

I guess I am out of the loop, but in the last week or two several people seem to be referencing cars newer than 25 years old being included in AACA, can anyone tell me what is happening? If this is being considered count me against it.

No, if anyone is referencing cars newer than 25 years old it is either tongue-in-cheek or being misinformed. The subject has not come up in the 5 years I have been on the job!!

I am currently negotiating our printing for the coming year and it is our hope that the magazine goes to full color for every issue. It should give us greater flexibility and make West's life a wee bit easier.

Dave, color is not a privilege thing ...we have to pay for that privliedge!!

OK, glad to hear it. Again, the magazine looks great, better all the time. I would like to suggest that I miss the occasional longer historical articles, especially the series on car makes of the 1900-1920s era, would like to see more of that. But the feature car articles are always very good, thanks.

Steve & West,

I applaud the constant and consistent improvement. It just keeps getting better, and is reflective of our direction in the hobby, especially those of us whose interests range from Brass to Nickle to Chrome - with an emphasis on Touring.

Thanks, and keep up the good work.

We have not abandoned them completely. Not sure when the next one will be but history is important to us. The trick is to make the story enjoyable to more readers.

Tarheel...I was hestiant to respond but I have been asked to by several people to do so. We have our official logo and a new marketing logo that was worked on by a committee and approved unanimously by the board of directors. We offer merchandise with either "brand" and even have one item with both images.

As far as listening we conduct numerous roundtables at national meets in order to hear comments from our members and naturally the national HQ staff cheerfully answers all calls/letters/emails. Not sure why you made the comment about asking people's opinions since none was asked for in this thread so I assume it is over something else. We have 60,000 members who all have opinions. Pretty hard to get all of us agree on everything but that doesn't mean people don't listen.

I have long since forgotten the voluminous number of things we have changed in the last 5 years thanks to suggestions and input from our membership. I am truly sorry you seem very disappointed in some things about the club. You have several national directors that live in the Carolinas and a roundtable coming up this Friday at Charlotte. Your opinions would be welcomed by them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone notice the change in Antique Automobile </div></div>

Hello, using the braille method of typing this in. I have just returned from my eye doctor with a very dark set of glasses. cool.gif (see them?)

I received my magazine this morning and made the mistake of opening it before I had time to eat my Frosted Flakes (They'reeeee Greeetttt! blush.gif) I was doing real good until I got to the editor's page. I don't know where West's wife (a man would never buy a shirt like that) bought that loud shirt. My eyes will never be normal again. All colors now look the same, reds, blues, oranges. They all look the same. eek.gif

Steve, I do appreciate the added color, but please the shirts!!!

Actually, I had heard about this change in California, when Mike Jones surprised the west coast with the added color to our magazine announcement. He also made my heart flutter with other news that I'll keep for a bit. Needless to say, I'm very proud of our AACA Magazine. I want to see it on every magazine rack in the free world. (The unfree will just have to wait!)

I sent West a Rodders Journal (Hush Wayne) for Christmas, just so he'd see how close our magazine is getting to the best. In my opinion, antique or otherwise, the Rodders Journal is the best photo coffee table type magazine of its kind in the world. West's photos, composition, and quality of production are excellant.

Keep up the good work, West. (Don't forget to mail that check to me, Buddy! wink.gif )

Wayne

Tarheel,

The new logo is not change, if you still have the old one available.

By the way, the new logo has been very well received. It was especially a hit in Hershey, according to what I saw. But, in case some do not like it, there are still old logo articles available.

Wayne

Poci, I think you're hearing the newer than 25 year flap coming from the new Custom/Rad Rod display put on by the museum. As with any enterprise, you have to pay the bills. If bringing other types of wheeled vehicles into the museum brings in more customers and better attendance, I say, great!

Wayne

Wayne, I agree with that when it comes to local shows where a region/chapter can be the group that puts it on, let's say as a club fundraiser.

I think it sends a mixed message about the AACA to have Custom/Rad Rods on display in the AACA museum. I have nothing against them personally, we plan to re-do our 1939 Dodge with some minor modifications. I just don't think it is the best idea for the AACA to showcase them, even to help pay the bills.

There was a thread on this forum awhile back about having a well known hot rodder at the AACA museum for a "night at the musuem". Since it was not favorable as to that choice of guest it mysteriously disappeared. I presume a monitor deleted it because it did not go along with the flow. I for one think the new marketing logo should have been put to a vote by the membership or at least on this web site as a sampling. Or at least add an older car say pre 1940's to the design maybe.

Mike, I am a big fan of accountability. The thread disappeared because I personally deleted it...it became personal and nasty and that is not tolerated here. Honest differences of opinions are fine but to start attacking someone personally (wasn't me) is not acceptable! BTW, all my cars are original and people who know me know that my personal beliefs are strongly based upon saving our history.

The Board of Directors makes decisions in the best interest of the club all year long. That is what they are charged to do. Too many of the people on our website are not even AACA members and the club does not need them dictating how it operates. I may not agree with every decision my bosses make but I do know they deliberate in earnest to make the club stronger.

The reason why there are blue shirts, green shirts, polka dot shirts is people all have their likes and dislikes. In the case of the new image we have gotten tremendous positive response to it but as we have stated we will never get rid of our official logo. Anyone who has ever been involved in design will tell you it is a painful process as everyone has their own opinion.

Shirts, hats and other items are still available with our original logo. This really is a case that you can have your cake and eat it too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: durant28</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I for one think the new marketing logo should have been put to a vote by the membership or at least on this web site as a sampling. Or at least add an older car say pre 1940's to the design maybe. </div></div>Not to be a pain in the neck, but it is/was put to a vote. You vote with your wallet, either BUY the official AACA logo item or BUY the new marketing logo item. OR , formally send your complaints to the BOD. One question on the new AA mag, West. A few of the lemon suckers want to know why the exec. dir.'s pics are still b&w? Didn't he pay his dues yet?

AACA will always be the corner stone of the hobby and as less 20 and 30 era projects are available then we have to accept that the vision of those younger will be to want read about a 1973 transam versus a 1923 moon. Those who love cars love them all if they are a quality make or bring back memories of childhood or high school years. I dropped my aaca member ship in recent years only because it was to difficult to receive my copies of the mag here in south america where i have lived and worked for years. I live to get back to my projects in the states and eventually retire around them and future ones. i had to do a double take the other day at a car show in Bogota when i saw a 1985 cadillac

in the line up with crown victoria and others BUT we all regret or those of us that love pre 1935 era not picking up a muscle car or m. car projects when they were a dime a dozen in the 70s and early 80s. The hobby adjusts for new generations and the majority of younger folks have the same respect for our 20 era cars as we are learning to have for 25 year old cars. It may not be our taste for those of us as kids going to Hershey in the 60s but it keeps us all young.

keith sparks

22 auburn

26 auburn

23 moon

etc etc.

The magazine keeps getting better and better!!Whether you like brass or muscle cars, AACA gives you a place to gather with and make new friends. Its that kind of camaraderie and acceptance that makes this club great.

As for the variety in merchandise vis a vis the logos, our merchandise should reflect the wide variety of interest the members have. We need to respect all of our members, both young and old. It seems to me you guys are doing both. KUDOS!!

I am actually a sorry one to talk since i let my overseas status be the excuse to drop membership in recent years. I used to look forward to the aaca mag and the stuz news on a regular basis. Thus i will renew my membership and send the magazine to a friends house in vt so i have right to speak. I have hundreds of the mag dating back to the late 40s. There was nothing better than to go to the garage, make a fire in the woodstove, kick your feet up on an previously aborted hcs frame with westinghouse shocks and read and read and read.

Keith Sparks

22 auburn

26 auburn

23 moon

etc etc

Tarheel, I remember that "used car" term being used derisively way back in 1962, 63, 64, 65, and it was just as nasty then as it is now. But we survived it.

Now that I've read the entire length of this thread, I have to come back to this use of the word "used car" which was heaped on me and other members my age when we were in our twenties. Many of those members quit this club as a result of that term being used in a derogatory way, and they never came back. They never introduced this club to their children or grandchildren. I stuck it out and I fought it, and now those very cars that were treated with such derision in the 1960's are viewed as quite old today, and come to car shows in trailers and receive multi-ten-thousand dollar restorations. When I became President in 2004 I declared the term "used car" in this club to be a profane word. Of course I couldn't make that stick, but I still get angry when I see it used; especially on new recruits to our wonderful hobby, often forty years younger than I am. If I have over-reacted I appologize, but this subject still raises the hair on the back of my neck.

Saw you had a 1926 Auburn. A 1926 Auburn coupe turned up here in Sebring recently, brought here for the winter by a gentleman from Iowa. This wasn't just any 1926 Auburn coupe, though. Instead of being painted, the body was covered in leather, and it is still in pretty good condition. The car was shown in the HPOF class at the Winter National Meet in Lakeland, FL

Steve, I told the folks in my Region that there was something completely new about the magazine, and if any of them guessed it, I'd donate $5 to the club treasury. Well, if any of those folks read the forum, I'm obviously out that $5. You should buy me a coke or something in Charlotte. smile.gif

The magazine is beautiful, especially the front cover. All of the articles are great. I won't comment on Dwight Heinmuller's letter to the editor except to say, I knew Dwight when I lived up in Maryland and he was a master at rebuilding carburetors. He and his brother loved Packards too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Dave, color is not a privilege thing ...we have to pay for that privliedge!! </div></div>

Steve, You don't need to remind me. I've delt with professional printers for a number of years, I know what color costs.

Color is kinda like a double edge sword. On the one side it draws attention, and can gain you $ (or in our case members), on the other side, you got to lay out that extra money taking a chance on the return.

You and Wes have worked wonders with the magazine. Thank you for your efforts! smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wayne, I agree with that when it comes to local shows where a region/chapter can be the group that puts it on, let's say as a club fundraiser. </div></div>

Shoprat, When we have "them" at a local function, is when we need to try to show them were they were lead astray, and nuture them to our way of thinking.

Before anyone gets bent out of shape, I'm not knocking the rods. I build drag cars for a living and I do cry when someone brings us something too nice to cut up. But I also can respect the workmanship that goes into the rods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dynaflash8</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You're on the mark Shop Rat. </div></div>

Thanks df8. I just think it a bit strange that folks are pretty much banned from talking about "modified" vehicles here, they are not permitted to offer them for sale on the buy/sell fourm or at places like the flea market/car corral at Hershey. Yet they are now or will be on display in a museum paid for/supported by members/supporters of the AACA. That to me is a mixed message about the rules of the AACA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: novaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Shoprat, When we have "them" at a local function, is when we need to try to show them were they were lead astray, and nuture them to our way of thinking. </div></div>

I think that hot rods etc. are part of automotive history. But they have their own clubs like <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Good Guys </span></span>and others to foster their hobby. I just don't think that it is a great idea to show them off at the AACA Museum. They are no longer as they were/could have been delivered from the factory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: novaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...But I also can respect the workmanship that goes into the rods. </div></div>

Us too. grin.gif We hope for some good workmanship when we really start working on the '39 Dodge as a slightly modified driver/local show car. cool.gif

Guest windjamer

I give up. I guess I have been asleep at the wheel. Steve could you PLEASE post a LARGE picture of the new logo that SOME folks are hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm b****ing about?

Susan,

1. Moderators have never been instructed to ban threads about street rods, etc.

2. The museum was funded through many sources not just our loyal club members or AACA. One of the first cars donated to the museum was slightly modified.

3. The museum to this point has only had an occasional modified car on display. One that is being sold for their benefit and the recent special exhibit of ONE MAN's collection which did include AACA award winning cars, trucks and a few hot rods.(most were "originals" like the Ricky Nelson TV car)

Dave is right, we need to reach out an attract people who are gearheads to our hobby as well. We have significant numbers of AACA members who have both kinds of cars in their garage.

Make no mistake about it, my personal beliefs and my job dictate that I strongly support the restoration and preservation of cars. I have zero problem with the trend now to new bodies, frames, etc being made for the street rod community. I greatly admire the ingenuity and workmanship these cars exhibit and hope the trend to use newly made bodies continues.

Guest windjamer

I know I should keep my b29 mouth shut,but God hates a coward.First off I like the old logo best, but I think there is room for both. Let the buyer choose.

Street rods. I have to go with Shop rat. I dont go to the texas road house or Billy Bobs steak place and ask for a hot dog. I think the visitor that drops 8-10 bucks at the door of an ANTIQUE auto mesuem expects to see OLD CARS, not some choped up Boyd Coddingtot P o s. Now befor you climb my hump let me say I KNOW the club needs to raise funds,and that means sometimes we may have to do something that is a litle tough to chew,BUT WE DONT HAVE TO LIKE THE TASTE. I like old cars I also like a well done street rod I have a cat I like and a dog I like, I dont mix breed them.