Water leaks in car

Guest papete

Guest papete

Water seems to be leaking into the right rear side of my 46 sedan. I put flowable silicon around the rear window but it continues to leak. I do not think the window is the problem because the leak seems to be on the side of the car. Could the water be coming through the drip rail? I considered puting silicon in the rail. Any suggestions? Thanks.

To check for water leaks at the windshield or rear window get a can of aerosol window cleaner like Sprayway. Spray around the outside of the glass where it meets the rubber. Spray alot to get a foamy strip. Then take an air hose with a air nozzle in it,inside the car and apply air to where the foam is on the outside of the car. If there is any leakage the window cleaner will bubble up. Thats how we find windshield water leaks. Good luck George.

These old rigs all have potential Leak areas as the factories really didn't do a lot to seal them up. The holes which attach the stainless trim above and/or below the rear side windows might be the culprit? rather than try to seal from the inside, necessitating the removal of upholstery and headlining, you might carefully remove the stainless trim, pack a little 3M strip-calk around the clips and re-attach. The 3M strip-calk is a great product; it never hardens and you can actually paint it if you want. I've even used it to seal up glass lenses rather than fuss with cork gaskets which never seem to quite seal.