Pulsing Lights

Guest Greg Ross

Guest Greg Ross

I'm getting the car tuned up for a big road trip(3000+ miles) replaced the exhaust "DONUT" Gasket, one serpentine belt and tensioner, replacement Outer Fan Motor, replacement block heater(minor coolant leak)and gave her a fuel system treatment. Out for a road test today and I noticed the SES light pulsing (SES is stuck on due to E024 code/ VSS programming problem with my latest ECM PROM Chip)

Pulse rate is perhaps 2 or so cycles per second and doesn't vary with vehicle speed. That seems to eliminate alternator. I looked at voltage in ECM and BCM Data and I see voltage cycling rapidly from about 13.4 to 14.6v

Any suggestions, Ground(s) maybe?

Planned route takes me from Canada, into Maine and west thru Chicago, flooded Fargo and onward to Montana, then north into Alberta.

My 88 cycles voltage like that, normally the dash reads about .8v below the actual battery voltage & jumps about .6v from time to time - no pattern but get no codes and the battery lasts for years so just learned to ignore it.

2 cps sounds like a turn signal & if a ground is bad can cause havoc though would expect a bad dash ground to affect all instrument displays.

Found on the Internet:

One simple thing to check on an OBD II vehicle that has the Check Engine light on is that the gas cap is not loose. If it is, this may be detected as a leak in the fuel evaporative system. As stated above, after you fix the cap, it may take a few trips for the light to go off.

<span style="font-weight: bold">If the Check Engine light is flashing</span>, this means that the computer has detected that your engine is misfiring (i.e. failing to ignite the fuel in the cylinders) badly enough to risk damage to the catalytic converter (misfiring pushes unburned fuel down the exhaust, which can overheat and damage the catalytic converter as it tries to burn it up). If the light is flashing, you should repair your vehicle as soon as possible. Misfiring problems are most commonly caused by such things as a bad spark plug, bad spark plug wire, or ignition coil/module problems.

Guest Greg Ross

Ronnie,

This is an OBD I vehicle and the only code set is the E0 24 VSS. When my ECM PROM was expanded and modified "Sinister" attempted to include a corrector for the double rate pulse that comes off my Getrag 5-Spd. His alteration didn't work and consequently I have "0" speed showing up at the ECM, have to cancel the warning on the screen every time I start the car.

The pulsing I'm seeing on the SES cell is all I see, the Dash appears perfectly stable. This happened one night a few weeks ago and I was certain I could see the pulsing in the exterior lamps too, park lamps, headlights, etc.

Guest Greg Ross

Padgett,

I haven't tried that, when I get to the Barn this morning I'll give it a try. Minor interference in the form of Snow to shovel to get there today. The 90' walkway out from the house was an average 30" deep, that was the before breakfast exercise. I'll tackle the 5' drift across the front of the Barn once I have my strength back!