Media to use?

Durant Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What's is a good general media to use in a blasting cabinet?

</div></div>

For general restoration/cleaning of all different materials I reccomend medium glass beads. For heavily rusted parts ground glass, aluminum oxide or silicon carbide is faster but medium beads will do 90% of general work from removing paint, rust, surface film to cleaning rubber and synthetics. Adjust your air pressure lower for delicate items.......Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: durant28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's is a good general media to use in a blasting cabinet? </div></div>

As a cheap and readily available media I use play sand in my cabinet. It is available at hardware stores, Home Depot, etc.

I also keep 50 lbs. of glass bead around for more delicate items.

impala

Play sand is cheap and will do for rougher work but be very careful with the dust as it's most likely high in silica which leads to silicosis which leads to being strapped to an oxygen bottle. An inexpensive alternate to sand is slag. It's sold under the name Black Beauty around here @ about $14 per 100# bag, comes in known grit sizes and is silica free. Xtra fine is about the best all round size for me.......Bob.

Guest Plymouthy

I find that black diamond is a very good media for about all my blasting needs...and if you have a sandblasting company supply near you...good ole blasting sand of .030 grit usually by the name Green Lightening is also very good media..

also..as you find a need to replace the sand in an enclosed cabinet, save it for the outdoor pressure blaster or siphon tank for spotting where needed..