Need help identifying old European cars.

Guest fintail

Guest fintail

The first pic is from maybe the late 20s, and the second pic is from the early-mid 30s. The pics are from a German family album.

I believe the first car is French by its basic style (and the road sign in the background makes a suggestion) but I have no clue about the make.

The second car appears to have a stylized "S" hood ornament, and with the vertical hood louvers resembles a period Stoewer, but I am just guessing. This car appears German to me.

Here they are. Any ideas? Thanks

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

Guest Casper Friedrich

I think the second car is too small to be an Austro-Daimler. But I must admit that the radiator cap looks exactly the same as Austro-Daimler's.

Looking into it deeper and noting that the rear of the car has no boot, I think that the lower car is the Porsche designed S30 Steyr cabriolet type car of post Austro Daimler-Puch merger with Steyr. I would say the car is about 1932 when the new emblem was beginning to be used but with the upright radiator.

Intrigued by the small car at the top and the interesting Landaulette back!?

Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

Hi,

Thanks RSK for your PM and I would confirm that I have been looking into the car on the first photo. I note that you had looked at the Wanderer for the second photo and had noted the similarity of the rear section. The similarity is not really surprising because that Wanderer was based on a Porsche design. Porsche left Steyr after the amalgamation into Steyr-Daimler-Puch. Glad you agree it is a Seyr.

As far as the first photo is concerned, I agree with Leif that the car is not French, but German. I think you too had come to that conclusion suggesting the car could be Wanderer 10 of 1927. Despite the seeming similarities, I am relatively sure that it is not. It seems to me to be a Hanomag of the cca 1931-32 Period. Hanomag made the quirky Kommisbrot single cylinder car, (often with basket bodywork) and then followed it up with the relatively conventional 3/16 and 4/20. These cars were designed by Carl Pollich to be similar to the Dixi, Wanderer and Brennabor. Unfortunately there are not many photos of this range of Hanomags available, but based on the early 3/16 there are numerous pointers: The four stud disc wheels, numberplate level with the front of the front wheels, the two section vertical bonnet louvres, 2 sets of 10 louvres, bottom of the radiator header tank being horizontal, the high upright section below the windscreen, the windscreen mounted traffic indicators, the high window line above the body strip, three forward hinges door etc etc. The pointers are numerous. The problem is the 'landaulette' back of which I have no photo. However I understand that as well as making a ‘limousine’ they also made a "Cabrio Limousine". In the absence of a photo, - I would guess yours was a Cabrio Limousine.

Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

Guest fintail

There it is! A Hanomag...a good old brand, not very common to see the badge on a passenger car.

Thanks guys.

Here are a photo of a 1931 NAG V8,when having a fast look at the NAG it looks like the second car,but there are some differents when looking at the headlights and the lower part of the conv.top the curve is more rounded on NAG.

Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-143138059157_thumb.jpg

Hi Lief,

It looks from your lower green 4-18 photo that the roof opens into a landaulette type opening. This would be just as shown on the enquirer’s photo. I wonder what keeps it watertight and how it is fastened on. It almost looks like zip !

Lovely NAG photo. Some of the NAG Cabriolet coachwork was made by Drauz Karosseriewerke. I wonder if these bodies were common to the three car makes we have been looking at??

Kind Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

Guest fintail

Something I notice in the second car that I believe to be of importance is the horizontal hood vents, as opposed to the more usual vertical or slightly diagonal.

The body also resembles period Glaser designs I have seen.

Hi Fintail,

Probably 'teaching you to suck eggs' but normally the car manufacturer would supply the chassis and the front of the car complete, including the radiator and bonnet (hood). The coachbuilder would add the body and frequently the mudguards. This would mean that the radiator vents would be specific to the car make, whereas the rest of the outside of the car would be by the coachbuilder so could look generally similar to other makes.

Kind Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org