Want To Buy 1963-1964 Cadillac Coupe Deville or Fleetwood

bosco001

My apologies. I know this a pre-1941 forum, so if the moderators want to yank it, I understand. But, in order reach as broad an audience as possible, thought I'd place my post (see below) here in the hope it might be seen by someone who also owns a 1963-64 Cadillac OR who knows someone with a 1963-64 Cadillac.

Hi all.

I'm looking to buy a nice 1963 or 1964 Coupe Deville or possibly a Deville convertible (if priced reasonably). Might even consider a Sedan Deville or Fleetwood if especially nice, but it would definitely have to be priced to sell. Please, no Series 62's. Not necessarily looking for an over-restored example or one in better than new condition, but car needs to be very nice and able to be driven across country without hesitation. My preference would be a low-mileage, unrestored, original car that's been well-cared for. But, if it's nice, I'll consider it. No junk or project cars or anything that has been resto-moded or hot/rat-roded. Must be heavily optioned to include A/C and tilt wheel. Would also prefer cruise control. Please email good-quality photos and description/history to sparmerlee@yahoo.com

BTW, I'm in Indiana and will consider paying a bit extra for something within a 500-mile radius (or so) of Indianapolis in order to save me transportation costs.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

- Steve Parmerlee

Guest Trunk Rack

RE your "hunt" for a '63 / '64 Cad.

While either year ( assuming properly maintained by someone who knows what he is doing, and has access to the Shop Manual) will give you excellent service, there are some things to keep in mind.

From a PERFORMANCE standpoint, the '64 Cads are head and shoulders above the '63's. Entirely different and MUCH more powerful engine in the '64. Vastly superior 3 speed turbo hydramatic - 1st year was '64. Funny thing - they made it SO responsive (peels rubber like crazy) they "toned down" the way the '64's will literally JUMP off the line from a standing start...for the '65 model year.

From a GADGET standpoint, you'd be better off with a '63. Again, splendid performance - incredible long-distance extreme speed ability, but the '63 has MECHANICALLY controlled air conditioning. Vacuum powered, relatively simple to trouble-shoot. The '64 on the other hand, was the first year for climate control. To give you an idea how incredibly "fussy" and complex the '64 climate control is, take a look in the '64 Shop Manual. That ought to scare you - however, if the system is working fine, they are durable, and will probably continue to work longer than you will !

Bottom line, do NOT accept a '64 if you want good air conditioning, if there is ANYTHING wrong with the system. Take it from me - i KNOW what I am talking about. There is no longer parts support for that system. Again, it is sophisticated, computer controlled and complex. Without parts support, once it dies from a control systems failure, it will almost certainly be beyond repeair..

Do NOT be scared of one with loose front suspension. Engine heat knocks out the rubber suspension bushingss. When those rubber bushings "go", you will hear scary "thunks", "creaks" & all kinds of "knocks' from the front end. And the thing will wander all over the road and steer terribly. Especiall when the "upper inners" go.

Full sets of those control arm bushings are still available. And relatively simple to re-bush. A COMPETENT front end shop FAMILIAR with GM cars of that era WITH THE PARTS ON HAND should do the whole job in less than a day's shop time.

Dont monkey with front spring work unless you have been 1) PROPERLY TRAINED and 2) PROPER SUSPENSION TOOLS.

With fresh upper inner control arm bushings and a new idler arm bearing, those things are a delight to drive (would be wise to put away an extra set of front control arm bushings, because if you really enjoy driving the car (be surprised if you dont!) you WILL be doing that front end job every 6-9 years or so...!

• 1 month later...
Guest Trunk Rack

yup - that is why I suggest the '63, if you want working air conditioning, AND the '64 Cad. you are considering that has the "Climate Control" air conditioning system has ANYTHING wrong with it.

STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU DO NOT CONSIDER A '64 CAD. with that "First Year Climate Control" UNTIL YOU HAVE FIRST READ THE SHOP MANUAL COVER TO COVER !

Here's why. The '63 has simple MECHANICAL controls, "bowden cables" and some vacuum lines governing the cabin air system functions. Something any of us amatuer wrench-turners can diagnois IF you have the shop manual and are patient.

By contrast, take a look at the '64 Shop Manual. The cabin air system is SO complex, the section on diagnosing the cabin air system is, if I recall correctly, even larger than the section on the Hydramatic! That ought to tell you something.

Its been many DECADES since I worked on a "Climate Control" (again, first appearing on '64's) system. Of course the compressor, dryer, evaporator, blower motors, etc., are all "off the shelf" GM parts. The problem is the controls. Some are vacuum. Some are electric. But they are DRIVEN by some "gee whiz" boxes that are not repairable. You fix em by replacing them.

I do not know what the "interchange" situation is on that "First Generation" Climate Control - obviously, "Climate Control" spread thru-out the GM line, and, hopefully, there are still some NOS computer boards around. Did they evolve and change with the years ? I dont know.

Point is - in ANY GM car of that era, the air conditioning is a good, reliable system. The refrigeration units are durable, relatively easy to maintain, typical "old school" GM stuff.

But beware the guy trying to sell a '64 or later GM car with "Climate Control" air conditioning that "only needs a re-charge" ! "Just needs freon"....eh ? Fine. You tell him you will buy the car and pay him for the freon. AFTER it works !