Jump to content

What is this device?

Guest Leonard Shepherd

Recommended Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leonard Shepherd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it a traffic counter? </div></div>

That would be my first Guess. Dandy Dave!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The location has me buffaloed.

Back in the early 70's I worked in a Humble Gas Station.

We had a front end alignment checker that look a lot like that.

You drove over it and it told if you car was toed out, toed in or OK. Accuracy within and inch I bet.

With that said, the location does seem to fit a device of that kind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


In the UK a similar device, but half road width only, was used to control the oncoming traffic lights. It was pneumatically operated via a long rubber tube across the road surrounded by a rubber frame and counted cars as they passed over. Kids would stamp on them so they got altered to read heavier weights. Used until about 10 years ago or so (or maybe longer- time flies !).


Vintman (UK)


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...