A book about the first Indianapolis 500 Mile Race

Greetings. I'm writing a book about the 1911 Indianapolis 500, to be published by Simon and Schuster in time for the 100th anniversary. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has letters, documents and/or any other interesting and not-already-widely-disseminated information relating to the people and cars involved in the race. Thanks very much.

I hope you are communicating with Fred Roe from Holliston Ma, and of ACD Club. He is custodian of Jerry Gebby's photo collection, which reflects his deep interest in racing and Indianapolis from the start of the track. I have a number of fascinating letters from Jerry, and I recall mention that he aspired to racing his T-head Mercerat the highest level, and tried unsuccessfully to talk Eddie Pullen into letting him use a set of Rudge Whitworth wire wheels. Ivan Saxton

Just looked at the Indianapolis 500 by Jack C. Fox and the photos of all 40 cars that started the first Indy 500. I did get to sit in the 4th place finisher, the Spencer Wishart Mercedes before it was shipped back to Germany 5-6 years ago. The winning Marmom Wasp is in the Indy collection, how many of the other 38 cars can be documented to still exist? Best wishes with the project, I'll want a signed copy to ad to my collection.

From my "Ebay" item collection here is one titled "1911PaceLap" and another postcard of the 1912 event lineup. Oh yes, a 1912 colored post card.

No, I don't have them, just right clicked on the Ebay icon to capture the image. Stude8

post-31139-143138056735_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138056737_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138056738_thumb.jpg

I have this photo from 1997 Harry A. Miller Meet at Milwaukee, WI where the oldest car there was a 1908? Stoddard Dayton (replica?)#21 supposedly the first racecar to win at Indy.

Don't know how accurate the color scheme is for that period.

I think owner was from Ohio, it had a big cubic inch 4 cyl engine.

Stude8

post-31139-143138056839_thumb.jpg

I hope you'll write about the REAL winner of the 1911 500, Ralph Mulford driving a LOZIER, despite the heroic efforts of Ray Harroun driving the hometown MARMON (Wasp) who became the pollically correct and economically wise choice of the Indianapolis stewards and judges.

According to my reference book (Clymer 1946) the <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">first race</span></span> at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was a 5 mile event on Sept 1, 1909 (2 years B4 the first 500) on Inauguration Day. Five cars entered, 2 Buick, 2 Stoddard-Dayton and 1 Velie. Winner was a Stoddard-Dayton at time of 5:18:04.

Stude8