A/C Question

Guest toyolet23

Guest toyolet23

I have searched the forum & cannot find an answer to my ?. Car is an 89 Reatta. My ac compressor was kicking off & on and computer screen stated refrigerant is low. Take it over to the local shop he fills it up. Same problem still kicking on & off same notification on screen (low refrigerant). Anyone have any idea as to what may be causing this. Thanks.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Clear this code in the computer. If pressure is correct and the low pressure switch is working it should fix your problem.

Guest toyolet23

Refirg level is full-cleared all codes & disconnected neg battery after clearing all codes. I'm thinking low pressure switch as stated by Mc Reatta. Any other input that may help. Thanks

Guest Mc_Reatta

Try disconnecting the connector from the low pressure switch and see if that makes a difference. Then jumper the two leads in the connector together and see if this solves the problem. I think the switch is normally closed when system is at proper charge and opens when pressure drops below threshold. Don't have a manual handy to check this though. If that's correct, then shorting the two wires in the connector with a paper clip or something should fool the computer into thinking the switch is working and system is up to pressure. Remember to clear the code first before checking if it worked. If you have electrical meter handy, you can check the resistance of the two leads in the switch while you at it. If I'm right about the switch being closed when at pressure, then it should be almost a dead short, if it isn't and the AC runs with the connector wires shorted, then the switch is definetly bad. Think you have to depressurize the system before you can replace this switch. Don't run system too long while your doing all this testing in case it's something else so you don't damage the compressor.

On what was my 89, I resisted attempting to fill or check the refrigerant until A/C was really needed. Typically early in the year, I'd get a refrigerant low warning. When it was actually needed the charge was up.

I ran on economy setting which will not cause a/c to cycle. I've heard this same issue before.

Tom T.