1990 with a touchscreen?

Franbev

Guest mgibson

1988 and 1989 were the only years for touchscreen. Probably just a typo or possibly a titling error or owner not knowing what year it really is.

Guest halofaller

I saw the same ad (SF Bay Area) and just the other day I think I saw the actual car in downtown SF. Looked very clean with nice seats and interior.

Maybe it was a very early model year production that went through with a touchscreen? One thing I've learned is just when everyone has written everything there is to know about a certain car, some strange model pops that no one has seen before.

In theory one could add it to a 90, since the power train and brakes are the same. This would still necessitate bringing over all the electronics (modules, complete harnesses, etc.) plus the dash carrier and housing due to it's different shape and design to do this. You'd also loose the airbag, since there is no reliable way to integrate the SIR system into the 88/89 electronics. Some may not see this as a big loss.

Of course, then you would have a 1990 that is pretty much indistinguishable from a 1988 or 1989 model. A lot of work for that end result, when a fairly decent 88 or 89 could be bought now for $2500-3000.

To do this to a 91 would be more difficult as many other things changed in the overall design of the 91 electronics, and the power train is different so the 88/89 ECM could not be used causing more compatibility issues.

I keep hoping some enterprising Reatta owner will take a 90 convertible with a trashed out interior and swap in an 88 or 89 interior from a donor parts car. That would be a one of a kind no doubt. I would do this myself, but would require that I get both a 90 'vert and a 88 or 89 donor car. I just don't have the time or inclination to tackle a project like this now. Maybe someday, for now it's a pipe dream.

The one hangup in such a swap is re-programming the VIN and Odometer in the BCM from the touchscreen car to be accurate for the car it is transplanted into. Not difficult for someone with a EPROM programmer and the knowledge of how to disassemble and change the machine code contained therein.

So, long story short, yes it is doable but would be a major undertaking. Really only worth it if you had access to the two cars needed at low cost and could justify gutting them both just to do this. Easier and likely cheaper right now to just buy and 88 or 89 that's ready to go, than to do the swap outlined above.

KDirk

I am getting more and more tempted to buy the 88 in WPB and do just that to the 'vert. Even have a place to put it and not like the 90 will ever be a show car. Can even fix the prom (actually not that difficult, are all "C" engines and ODO is in the BCM.

If only it wasn't 180 miles away... Oh well, will call about a dolly in the morning.

Padgett,

If you're talking about the one for $350, I'd say go for it. How often can a complete Reatta (albeit with a bad transmission) be bought for less than a set of tires mounted and balanced? Heck, it even has a working touchscreen.

As well, you have the wherewithal to pull this off, since you clearly have the knowledge of electronics and of Reattas in general.

Fixing the ODO isn't a big deal (I've already disassembled the EEPROM from an 88 BCM I picked up a while back, so I kind of have an idea of how that is coded) but I haven't tracked down the VIN coding. Then again, I wasn't really looking for that, only the mileage. While not necessary, it would be nice to have the correct 1990 VIN of the transplant recipient car display on the touchscreen. That would make it a truly complete conversion.

If you ended up doing this, it would be a great conversation piece. A true drop top (unlike that salvage yard one posted recently) with the first generation Reatta instrumentation. I'd certainly like to see it done.

KDirk

Guest CL_Reatta

Wasnt there conversation before about how the touchscreen does not get bright enough for it to be viewable in a convert with the top down.

I was the one who mentioned that as a possible design decision. Might have just been all of the reporters who panned it.

Heck, the 90 instruments do not get bright enough here in Florida, doubt that it is any worse. Don't forget I have both and with the roof vent open, the amount of light in the 88 is not much different.

Problem is that U-Haul will not rent me a dolly for the Transport (1 1/4" receiver)- just checked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Problem is that U-Haul will not rent me a dolly for the Transport (1 1/4" receiver)- just checked.</div></div>

I rented tow dollies from U-Haul many times for my Trans Sport... Just told 'em that I was pulling a Mini-Moke (800-1000 Lbs.).

That said, I pulled a Citroen SM (about 3,300 Lbs) and even another Trans Sport (3,800 Lbs) fairly long distances no problem, just took it really easy on acceleration to save the transmission.