Help Identify: Crow-Elkhart or 1913 Oakland Radiator

-----Original Message-----<BR>From: "Sandie Cooper" <dovevalley@xtra.co.nz><BR>To: <peterg@aaca.org><BR>Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 15:53:53 +1200<BR>Subject: Crow-Elkhart or 1913 Oakland Radiator<P>We have unearthed a V shaped nickel radiator which we think belongs to a Crow-Elkhart vehicle. It is square honey comb core, made by Mayo Radiator Company 1911. The radiator has two lower water outlets and one top outlet. As far as we know the square holed honey comb core was deleted in 1912 and replaced by hexangled core. The car radiator turned up in Tauranga New Zealand. We are also told that it might be an 1913 Oakland range.<P>Thank you<BR>Dave Perry & Sandie Cooper<BR>dovevalley@xtra.co.nz<P><BR> radiator.jpg <BR> radiator3.jpg <BR> radiator4.jpg <BR> radiator5.jpg<p>[ 09-27-2001: Message edited by: peterg ]

From: "Sandie Cooper" <dovevalley@xtra.co.nz> <BR>To: "Peter Gariepy" <peterg@aaca.org> <BR>Date: 09/27/01 00:53:13 <BR>Subject: Re: Crow-Elkhart or 1913 Oakland Radiator <P><BR>Our thoughts and condolences go to you and your Country Men. Hope they get<BR>the terrorists and bring them to Justice.<P>These are the Photo's of the Radiator. As you can see, the emblem is of a round shape. The Oakland had an oval emblem. The car is an Crow-Elkhart, the radiator is very much alike, which is why we think it's an Crow-Elkhart.<P>We have brought a Medal Detector, found nails, corrigated iron, gate hinge, underground cables, etc. But no signs of any other parts of a car.<P>Can you please confirm arrival of these photo's.

As I e mail you and got no reply the two outlets and the shape is like a v8 scrips booth about 1915. The radiator is thr same as 15 16 Oakland. The Oakland Only had one outlet on the bottom. Most on the bodies were made in your country after you imported the chassis.talk to the oakland people in your country. I could be more positive with measurments as I e mailed you.<BR>Laverne Burt

13 Oakland mod42 shocked.gif" border="0

Yes – Laverne Burt is correct. The radiator with its two bottom outlet is for the 1916-18 Scripps Booth Model D 4 passenger Roadster or Model H Touring car that was powered by the single casting block FERRO V-8 engine. Laverne sold his S-B vee’d raditor [Mayo Manufacturing Co., New Haven, Conn. Serial #121058] on eBay several years ago to a Model T speedster guy [measures 21” wide, 24” high, and about 9” deep is the same dimensions as the radiator on my 1918 Model G Roadster which used the Chev 4 engine and transmission]. The Scripps-Booth emblem is round (about 1 ¾” diameter ). <P>The car in the photo is very interesting because it is a 1917 CROW ELK-HART CE-33 Clover leaf 3 pass Roadster with the extra cost Houk 25 ”Quick-Detachable” Wire Wheels on #4 hubs and 32”x3 ½” Clincher tires. It cost only $845 including the spare wire wheel. This CE-33 was almost a direct copy of the Scripps-Booth styling that was used from 1915 to 1919 on its Model C, G, D and H’s, except the CE-33 used only the 3 small rear hood louvers as shown and supported the head lights on verticle posts off the frame, while S-B attached the head lights to a fender mounted bracket. Scribbs-Booth had no connections to the CE-33 and though about a law suit against the CE company for coping. I have never seen or even heard of a CE-33 or one that still exist? Is there one today in NZ?<BR>Ken Kaufmann<BR> scrippsbooth@earthlink.net