Do you "slice" your tags like me?

Guest Kitskaboodle

Guest Kitskaboodle

After someone stole the tags on my pickup truck recently, a friend told me to start slicing them. That way, it makes it harder to get them off. So, I do this now on all my cars.

I'm curious if others here "slice" their tags also.

Ever have your tags stolen?

Kit

Kit-

Yes, been doing this for several years here in MO. We had a terrible rash of tag thefts for a long time. Missouri, in their typical bureaucratic stupidity, designed plates with the year tag in the lower corner. Easy to pry up the thin aluminum, take a tin shears to it and cut of the whole corner of the plate. Punks just took it home and worried about getting the sticker off in their own sweet time.

So, then the DMV started recommending that the year tag be placed in the center of the plate. Wasn't long before we saw plates with an inverted "V" cut out the center. One thing is that I always put in all four screws (two at top, two at bottom) so the lower edge of the plate cannot be pried up and out to make the "cut and run" possible without a lot more work. Seems most car owners only install the top two.

Luckily, I've never had a tag stolen, and the rash of tag theft here seems to have largely subsided now. I still slice the sticker.

KDirk

Guest CL_Reatta

Hm cant say I have ever heard of people stealing the tags off of cars... it would seem the stickyness would not hold the greatest after coming off the first time

Many folks "stack" their tags, which makes it easier to remove the stack without damaging the top (current) tag, even if it's sliced. Make sure to cut all the way thru the stack!

Texas has window tags, much better security, but harder for the police to see, when following a suspect vehicle.

Randy,

Good observation there. I always remove the previous tag before I put on the new one. Most people don't. As far as loosing their adhesion, I'm sure the buyers of stolen tags just use spray adhesive or some such means of attachment.

Easier to steal a tag & rig it to your plate when your car won't pass inspection, or you don't have insurance to get a legit license for it. This was a booming business here in St. Louis, MO for quite some time. It lessened after the last plate redesign (last year) but still see plates carved up once in a while.

I was hoping we would get window tags when they redesigned our plates this last time (and the new design is even worse than the last aesthetically, what a completely wasted opportunity) but no such luck.

KDirk

In MA, a yearly safety/emissions inspection tag (3x3 paper sticker) is affixed to the inside of the windshield lower pass side by the certified tech. A 1 year for vanity/special plates or 2 year for regular plates registration tag (1x1 aluminum reflective sticker) is affixed to the upper right hand back plate by the owner. One could never sucessfuly remove either of these stickers whole due to the way they're made. Years ago, folks used to try to peel off the inside windshield sticker but that stopped when the state started printing auto specific info on the sticker.

Texas used the stick on your license year thing for several years. Now we get one that goes inside on the windshield next the state inspection sticker.

It is interesting that the one on the license was about 1" X 1.5" with all the required information.

The new one for the windshield is roughly 2 X 3, why so big.