20's cars chrome work

Anybody lately had any pieces re-chromed or nickeled for the 20's car lately? Just curious as to what type of prices their getting for say a radiator cover, bumpers, trim pieces. Also is how about inside door handles being nickeled? I have some door handles etc for the inside that need nickeling as well as my rear tail light? I'd like to get an idea of what to budget for.

Guest Dean_H.

Hi Mike,

Most of my Hupp parts were already re-chromed when I bought the car, but I did send out a few small parts a couple months back. The place I went to here in CA charged me just over $500.00 to do my gearshift lever, hand brake handle, the cowl light brackets, three little pieces on the rear bumper and two pieces for the rear seat foot rest. I'm happy with the quality. My interior pieces were originally nickle but I just had them chrome it all. It's expensive.

Dean

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AmerMidChrome

You need to find a chromer and ship or bring in your parts for an actual visual quote.

To have people quote you by the description or pictures is always going to get you a really high price.

Not sure where you are located but a lot of people use Pauls Chrome on this site and highly recommend them.

I own American Midwest Chrome in Chicago Illinois and we also do work like this. Here is our info if you are interested.

Just noticed you are located in Florida, you can ship the parts in for a quote.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dean and Amermidchrome! I have one small tail light housing and bezel to have nickled and of course a radiator shroud in chrome. I know that most shops really need to see the work, but was trying to get a ball park. Tail light $100, Radiator shroud $500 or $1,000 etc. I hate to send the parts out only to find that the piece will be far more than I budgeted for and have to have it come back until I get more money together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFranklin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are going to spend the money, don't chrome parts that should be nickel plated. Most 1920's autos had nickel plating.</div></div>

Some cars into the early 30's had nickel interior hardware. My '31 Dodges do.

Some shops will provide a preliminary estimate from good quality digital photos. Locate a shop you want to do business with and see if they will give the estimate from photos. If it appears it fits your budget, you can then send your parts and they should be able to provide the final price before the work begins.

Guest AmerMidChrome

Hi Mike!

You can send us photos, but the quote will be unfair to <span style="text-decoration: underline">you</span>. Usually when we get the part and we either over quoted or under quoted the part.

It is really hard to estimate auto parts that you can not visually see.