Tranny Hesitation when Cold

Guest jcrules78

Guest jcrules78

Hey guys,

Since I have had the car, there have been a few instances here and there when the car is cold in the morning that I would have to wait about 2-3 minutes after starting the car before the transmission would finally shift out of park into Reverse or Drive. When it did finally go into gear, it wasn't jerky or hard, it shifted smooth. Once that intial hesitation was over, there would be no more difficulty at all in shifting.

Recently, I lost my tranny cooler lines and had them replaced. Since then, that hesitation in shifting out of park while the car is cold happens every time. It only happens if the car has been left undriven for a good period of time (like overnight), but it isn't every once in a while like it used to be. Any chance this could be a funky electric issue like a P/N switch or some kind of transmission shift control? The tranny shifts nice and smooth and doesn't have any other noticeable issues besides the one mentioned above. Anybody have any similar experience with this?

JCRULZ

PS Oh yeah, the tranny fluid level is fine.

When was the transmission filter and fluid last changed?

If you had to replace the cooler lines (I assume because of rust) some of that could have gotten into the transmission and maybe partially plugged your filter.

Guest jcrules78

I know when the lines were replaced that the guys pumped out the old fluid and replaced it with new, but I am not sure about the filter. I'm thinking they didn't replace that for some reason because it wasn't mentioned in the the receipt breakdown. I will have to have that replaced.

Thanks guys,

JCRULZ

PS Seems that seafoam stuff is heavily promoted on this site, it must be good stuff!

Many of the current "flush and fill" places do just that. More would include dropping the pan, cleaning it, and replacing the filter and gasket. They promote it as changing more of the fluid but never mention the filter. To do it right takes both and that involves time, parts, and labor.

Guest jcrules78

In my opinion, changing the fluid in the tranny should automatically involve replacing the filter. Why would you put nice clean fluid in a car to have it running through an ancient, decrepit, and dirty filter? That would be like oil change facilities not including a new oil filter in the process. That doesn't make any sense at all to me. Besides changing the filter though, my car did flash a couple of non-current codes during the whole tranny cooler line debacle. It flashed a code e-36 (transmission shift control problem) and e-31 (Park-Neutral switch problem). Once the lines were fixed and the fluid refilled, the codes went away and have not returned, so I just assumed that meant they were activating due to the lack of fluid at the time. Also, my car had never displayed these codes in the past until this event took place. I still wonder though if there is a posibility that one of these two old codes could be a hint at what is causing the current problem?

JCRULZ

In a word, money. An express lube service can do a "fluid replacement" from underneath while you sit in the car and by removing one line. Takes about five minutes. Some just suck through the drain pipe and do even less.

Replacing the filter involves dropping the pan and since most a/ts do not have a drain plug, is a time consuming and messy business. Further it takes slightly more skill and there is more chance of finding things you did not want to.

Most shops can do a fluid replacement in half the time and double the profit of a filter replacement. No parts needed, just oil. So they charge 5/8 the price of a filter replacement and take the profit to the bank.

See here